Reality Review on Registration/Ca.and elsewhere

Well ,Heres what I'm up against in British Columbia
You'll notice that what we build does not have a classificaation.

It is not a power assisted Bicycle.
It is not a limited power motorcycle , a moped or a regular motorcycle.
What it is is Illegal for street use.
I've been riding one everyday for over 2 yrs without a problem and I live 1 block from the rcmp (police) detachment.

Oh I've been pulled over more times than I can count but not at all recently, as all the officers are used to seeing me now and know that :

I always wear a helmet
I use lights at night (red flashing leds front and back)
I don't ride like an idiot
and I'm causing any trouble or being a nuisance to other traffic .
and finally ,
that I'm a heck of a nice guy just minding my own business
I even get a smile and wave from alot of them or a nod of the head as we pass each other.

I ride up to 40 mph on the shoulder if there is one thats ridable at that speed or in the outside lane if there isn't.
I hand signal my intents . I hand signal to switch to the inside lane and then again to pull into a left turn lane, just like an auto.

Ministry of Transport

REGULATIONS RESPECTING SAFETY FOR MOTOR VEHICLES
AND MOTOR VEHICLE COMPONENTS
Short Title
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicle Safety
Regulations.
Interpretation
2. (1) In these Regulations,
"power-assisted bicycle"
< bicyclette assistée >
"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that:
(a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the
ground,
(c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,
(d) has an electric motor only, which has the following characteristics,
namely:
(i) it has a continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of the
motor, of 500 W or less,
(ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance
immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,
(iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power
assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and
(iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains
a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,
(e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and
appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that
the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and
(f) has one of the following safety features,
(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is
separate from the accelerator controller
and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or
(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the
bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h.

ICBC Brochure

update
Today, more than ever, people are choosing recreation activities that
include the use of motorized scooters,motorized skateboards and, more
recently, the SegwayTM Human Transporter. As well, people are opting to
use motor assisted cycles, limited speed motorcycles and motorized
wheelchairs to increase personal freedom and mobility and
as an alternative to the car. However, it's important to understand and
follow the rules and regulations that govern these motorized devices, since
some of them are legal for on-road use and some are not.

Motorized vehicles, such as motorized push style scooters, motorized
skateboards and the newly introduced

SegwayTM are defined as motor vehicles under the BC Motor Vehicle Act
but they cannot be used on public roads

because:

1.they do not meet provincial equipment safety standards for motor
vehicles, including lighting, braking and seating requirements;
2.they do not meet BC's limited speed motorcycle and motor assisted
cycle specifications; and
3.they do not meet federal standards for motor vehicles for use on public
roads.
Operating a motorized scooter, motorized skateboard or SegwayTM on
BC roads could result in being ticketed by the police for driving an
unlicensed and uninsured motor vehicle.

These types of vehicles (motorized scooters, motorized skateboards or
the SegwayTM) are not to be confused with motor assisted cycles,
limited speed motorcycles or motorized wheelchairs used for medical
related ambulatory assistance. Motor assisted cycles and limited speed
motorcycles are permitted on the road, while motorized wheelchairs may
operate on the sidewalk or road following the same rules as a pedestrian.

Limited Speed Motorcycle

Must be registered and licensed for use on roads. Must have a driver's
licence (any class).

A limited-speed motorcycle is defined as:

- No more than 50 cc engine displacement or 1.5 kw motor rating.
- Does not require clutching or shifting after the drive system is engaged.
- Has a maximum speed on level ground of 70 km/h.
- Weighs no more than 95 kg excluding fuel and batteries.
- Wheels must be 25.4 cm in diameter or more.
PI308 (072003) page 1 of 3

INSURANCE
Motor Assisted Cycle*

A motor assisted cycle is a 2- or 3-wheeled cycle with a seat, pedals and
an electric motor. Does not require registration, vehicle licence, driver's
licence or vehicle insurance.
- Operator must be 16 years of age or older.
- Operator is required by law to wear a bicycle helmet.
- May be operated on the road like any bicycle, except where municipal
bylaws restrict operation.
- The motor must be electric, rated at 500 watts or less, and be incapable
of propelling the cycle at a speed greater than 32 km/hr on level ground,
without pedaling.
* Further details can be found in the Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation, BC
Reg. 151/2002.

SegwayTM Human Transporter

- BC's Motor Vehicle Act defines this type of device as a motor vehicle,
but the SegwayTM does not meet provincial equipment safety standards
for on-road use.
- It is not included as a vehicle intended for on-road use under the Motor
Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and instead it is considered a device for
pedestrian environments.
- It may not be operated on a sidewalk adjacent to a roadway.
- It may only be operated where BC's Motor Vehicle Act doesn't apply,
such as private property that does not have public vehicle access or on a
trail or pathway if allowed by a municipal bylaw.

Motorized Scooter or Motorized Skateboard

Cannot be operated on roads in BC.

Cannot be operated on roads in BC.
- BC's Motor Vehicle Act defines these devices as motor vehicles, but
they do not meet provincial equipment safety standards for on-road use.
- May only be operated where BC's Motor
Vehicle Act doesn't apply, such as private property that does not have
public vehicle access or on a trail or pathway if allowed by
a municipal bylaw.
- It may not be operated on a sidewalk adjacent to a roadway.
-The Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) recognizes some motorized
scooters or motorized skateboards as restricted motor vehicles and these
are only imported for
use in off-road environments.
PI308 (072003) page 2 of 3

Last edited by a moderator:
(NOTE: I made an error in the title-I meant M2 license)

OPINION: I do not think you have to have an M2 license in the state of California based on the following information copied word-for-word from the CA Motor Vehicle Code and the CA Motorcycle Handbook (via online):

1. Defintion of Motorized Bicycle: (M. V. Code)Motorized Bicycle
406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
406. (b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.
(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
(RELEVANT PART ABOVE. STUFF BELOW IRRELEVANT PROVIDED YOUR BIKE FALLS UNDER THE DEFINITION ABOVE) :)
(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:
"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Supersedes Sec. 2, Ch. 342.

(2.) MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES A motor-driven cycle is:- A motorcycle with a 149 cc or less engine size. NOTE: You may not operate a motor-driven cycle on a freeway if signs are posted to prohibit motor-driven cycle operation. MOTORIZED BICYCLES There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:- A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with: -fully operative pedals for human propulsion. -an internal combustion engine producing less than two gross brake horsepower
and an automatic transmission. - an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (VC Sec.406[a])- A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. The motor must stop when the brakes are applied or the starter switch is released. (VC Sec.406). If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the defi nition of VC Sec.406, you:- Must be 16 years of age or older.- Must wear a properly fi tted and fastened bicycle helmet.- Are exempt from the motor vehicle fi nancial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements.

Please read page 3 of the manual or page 7 via pdf.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

A promise to all:
This will be my last post regarding anything to do with Califonia law on this board for the next 90 days.

Page 4 of CA motorcycle manual

Please read page 3 of the manual or page 7 via pdf.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

A promise to all:
This will be my last post regarding anything to do with Califonia law on this board for the next 90 days.

Pete,

Given the state of CA's definition of a motorized bicycle, HOW does your reference to this page in any way refute what I said that CA does NOT require a motored bike to be licensed?

Mary

P.S. HERE IS THE PAGE THAT YOU REFERENCED IN FULL:

LICENSE
REQUIREMENTS
California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation: • Class M1—You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2. NOTE:The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the Vehicle Code. • Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, any bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter. You may obtain a Class M1 or M2 license at any DMV offi ce which provides driver license services. Motorcycle law tests and skill tests are required. NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle. EARNING YOUR LICENSE Safe riding requires knowledge and skill. Testing two-wheel vehicle operators is the best measurement of the skills necessary to operate safely in traffic because people often overestimate their own abilities. DMV’s licensing exams are designed to be scored objectively. To obtain your license, you must pass a knowledge test and an on-cycle skill test. Knowledge test questions are based on information, practices, and ideas from this manual. They require that you know and understand road rules and safe riding practices. An on-cycle skill test will either be conducted in an actual traffic environment or in a controlled off-street area. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS —ALL DRIVERS These are the requirements if you already have a basic class driver license. Refer to the California Driver Handbook for basic class driver license requirements. To obtain an instruction permit to operate an M1/M2 vehicle on public roads, you must: • Submit a completed DMV application form (DL 44). • Pay the required application fee. • Pass an eye exam. • Have your picture taken. • Give a thumb print. • Pass a test(s) on traffi c laws and signs for the class of license you now have unless you have taken the test(s) within the prior twelve months. • Pass an additional law test on motorcycle driving rules. NOTE: The Class M1/M2 permit does not allow you to carry passengers and you must ride during daylight hours only and not on a freeway. page four

Mary,
A motorized bicycle is requiored to have a plate. A one time fee is paid and the plate never needs renewal.

The operator of a motorized bicycle is requiored to have an M-2 endorement on their CDL.

These are both hard facts. Advance search this forum(Laws & Legislation) by using the word California and 14 threads will come up. Read the threads with the most posts.

Once a month someone wants to dispute CA law on this board thinking it will alter what is requiored by the CA DMV.

This is my very last post in this forum until March...Enjoy! :)

hello from bc haggard

i actually have got critical information that you cant get without lots of probing-searching,i got it from a icbc legislator.i could send you the information if youd like,i think your better off not reading it, but ill send it if ya want.i ride everyday and just go with the flow here in victoria,and have been to the mainland a half dozen times.i ride slow when in traffic hand signal and use lights and helmet.no problems so far.but.....there could be!:censored:

License and a Plate NOT required for California

Mary,
A motorized bicycle is requiored to have a plate. A one time fee is paid and the plate never needs renewal.

The operator of a motorized bicycle is requiored to have an M-2 endorement on their CDL.

These are both hard facts. Advance search this forum(Laws & Legislation) by using the word California and 14 threads will come up. Read the threads with the most posts.

Once a month someone wants to dispute CA law on this board thinking it will alter what is requiored by the CA DMV.

This is my very last post in this forum until March...Enjoy! :)

Hey Pete,

I've done some checking this week. I've talked with someone I know at a local bike shop who rides with 3 other guys on motored bikes. They have been riding for 4 years. They DO NOT have a license or a plate and have never been questioned. Ditto for another motored rider I flagged down 2 days ago.

Sorry, Pete but your info is NOT based on fact, "hard," soft, or in-between :p
You might want to give it up :)

Mary

doesn't it irritate you when someone asks a question, only to not listen to your answer ???
if you believe you need a plate, buy one
if you don't think you need one, don't
...but, if you get stopped, let us know, so we will know one way or the other

Mary

I've talked with someone I know at a local bike shop who rides with 3 other guys on motored bikes. They have been riding for 4 years.
Where, if you don't mind, is this exactly? I live in SoCal... thanks. :)~

Ca law

Hi Bean, CA Requires registration, plate, helmet, and obeying the laws. Ol Pete is absolutely right! I live in the root of all this evil, Sacramento CA, and I can assure you that he is on the money when it comes to CA law and motor bicycles (or whatever anyone may wish to call them). I have quoated CA law, CA website, and the realaties therein, and it is as Ol Pete says, that we keep getting new posts about what people "feel" about CA law.

Check this link http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm and please report back to everyone what it says about "Motorized Bicycles" if you would, as a favor to all CA riders?

Thanks,

Mike

Back