How to ride LEGAL in Colorado?

I just got a 66cc MB and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it "legal" in CO...no insurer will insure it, but I need insurance to register it, but to register it, it has to be less than 50 cc, but even if it's less than 50cc, I still can't get it insured. I can't even get it registered as a motorcycle bc it doesn't have a VIN (let alone signals, etc). Pretty much the same issue people were having a couple years ago. Glad to see progress has been made :rolleyes:
I wouldn't sweat it. Just do what you do and obey traffic laws. Generally cops wont harass those who are obeying these traffic laws. I've blown thru a few red lights right as they changed and cops dont seem to care. But then again cars blow stop lights and cops dont care. The law doesn t care until someone is seriously injured as a result.

I successfully obtained a Colorado "Motorized Bicycle" registration decal last summer. I used the "Low Power Scooter" application form, included a check for $5.85, and included a copy of my PayPal sales invoice from the purchase of my "China Girl" engine through E-bay. I'd owned the bicycle for over ten years and had no sales receipt or other paperwork for it, but that didn't seem to matter. I just entered the bike's make and frame serial number on the form, and indicated that I'd purchased an appropriate 50cc engine. In a couple of weeks an envelope from the Department of Revenue arrived, with the decal stapled to my original application. Stuck said decal to said bike, and I'm now officially street legal!

Try it, you'll like it!
They said that my vin was non conforming and didn't issueme the sticker. I used my serial number on my bike for the vin. Did u have to put x's in front of the serial number or add something in that space to fill out the whole vin slot?

How do i get them to accept my form i put my serial from my bike in the vin slot but they rejected n said vin non conforming. Do i need to add like some. X's in front of the serial number to make it the correct amount of characters? Or what?

Gonna need to hand out some 420 "samples" to pass vin inspection, guaranteed to work if you get the small-batch stuff, very "high" quality and it'll "weed" out the bad ones ;)

from the link darwin posted...
Deletes the definition of motorscooter and motorbicycle 42-1-102(59)(a) and motorized bicycle 42-1-102(59)(b).

look up the statutes and what i posted was copy and paste from the link at begining of the post...
Thank you for your post it has shed a lot of light on all of my unanswered questions you've made more sense of all of this, especially when this is all new to me and I'm sure alot of others out there just trying to have fun and build something we can ride and be proud we built it I appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions

Back