howdy - intro post

hi this is Bren, I'm here in north DFW texas. I built a gbike recently so, here I am :cool:

View attachment 202987

here's my bike, (or i should say my first bike, this is exactly the kind of thing that I could get highly addicted to), I found her in a dumpster and fixed her up. It's a kent bayside 26", I put on a zeda. I'm still working out the kinks and what not but it's hopefully getting there. It runs at least, i've been tracking down vacuum leaks and what not but I think i figured it out and will go test it tomorrow to see if it runs better. Glad I'm running 16:1 break in oil because she's been running pretty lean! i hope it's not hurt. the engine's got maybe 45mins on it so far.

View attachment 202988
anywho it looks like a lot of yall have the experience that i am gonna need to draw from, looking forward to the conversating,

-Bren
If you're fighting an air leak, get a squirt bottle with some water in it. Mist around your intake and carb, when the engine stalls out, you have found the leak. Otherwise you might be chasing your tail for a couple of days.

Air through the intake will ruin your day, but air through the head and sparkplug hole is just a loss of compression.

Do you have any oil coming from your exhaust?

If you're fighting an air leak, get a squirt bottle with some water in it. Mist around your intake and carb, when the engine stalls out, you have found the leak. Otherwise you might be chasing your tail for a couple of days.

Air through the intake will ruin your day, but air through the head and sparkplug hole is just a loss of compression.

Do you have any oil coming from your exhaust?
yea there's some oil that drips out the tail pipe
i notice it on the floor after it's parked

yea there's some oil that drips out the tail pipe
i notice it on the floor after it's parked
That's good, nothing wrong with that. The oil will clean up, put a piece of cardboard down until it's broke in.

Take the mag side cover off and check for oil under the coil. If there is oil there then the seal got too hot and melted.

You should run 20 to.1 for brak in. 16 to 1 is way too much oil
Noted .. What happens when you run too thick of oil for break in?

I think I might have fixed it. I got the plug good and tight and she actually idled. I sprayed all over the intake manifold and she held!

I richened up the needle by one notch. I was also testing with the air filter off, I have a feeling that was contributing to the lean running problem in addition to the compression leak.

I just went out on a 1.5 mile 9 minute test rip, she started easier and isn't running away when I pull the clutch in. I was able to actually set the idle throttle screw once she got hot. I checked the plug but it doesn't look a lot different, maybe a little, I figure since it's already been ran that it will take a few more miles before it will tell me anything.

I did add a speed hole to the air filter lol, I had to do a little craniotomy on this guy to get him to fit in the frame

20231113_152449.jpg

Maybe I should take a vid of it running. I think it sounds ok but I don't know enough to say for sure if it's running right

Any who, testing continues... Thanks all for your commentary

That's good, nothing wrong with that. The oil will clean up, put a piece of cardboard down until it's broke in.

Take the mag side cover off and check for oil under the coil. If there is oil there then the seal got too hot and melted.
The head def got too hot yesterday though, the head nuts started to turn dark 😅

Back