HT leaking petrol/fuel cap

WOAH Check out what Augi did with his tank. Why I didn't see this before?

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=68067&postcount=44

How's it holding up,Augi?
Very good,i don't fancy my chances though of finding a 78 honda express cap but i could always go down to the motorbike wreckers and try different caps...atleast that way their all not in sealed packages.This nylon cap i ordered is supposed to arrive today so i'll get a much better idea then.
Yes,where did u get yours from Aug and howz it going...ever tried the full "parallel to the ground" test?

I think I've about wrapped this up. I'm so ready for spring/summer.

Pic 1 ~ Replacement caps are readilly available for 4 dolla. So when I'm feeling artistic maybe I'll hide the holes a bit better. I know. Should have been only one hole or the two holes should be more even. The drill bit kept dancing around so I figured "It's only 4 bucks" so I went for not asthetics but functionality. Look at my poor tank. Look at what the gas did to it! I wonder how much it would cost to have a paint shop do this tank up with some murals? I so want to do that.

Pic 2 ~ The bottom end. I found some thick plastic and trimmed it kinda circular with tin snips. It does the job by keeping gas splash from coming out of the hole. 20 miles of riding with this cap today no gas left whatsoever. I didn't use any foam but I will when I find the right stuff for I'm not worried about dirt like a lawnmower should but I'm more concerned about rain. I'll bump this thread when I come around to finding the right stuff.

So I got the best of both worlds now it seems. Vented cap for riding,sealed cap for storing/maintenance.

Attachments

• 1caps.JPG
    1caps.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 2under.JPG
    2under.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 191
All jokes aside, ( fuel injected HT's ? Na )

the fact we can now fix the tank caps so we can flip the bikes upside down, especialy if we need do a puncture repair on the side of the road, it's been a comendable effort by LF-L yet again.
On ya dude...,

Conspiracy Thoery.

I still wanna fix the standard cap. what large's done is great, but seems
like alot of work !!

my 1.05C (AU) worth.
It's better if u can fix the standard cap but i don't think u can...it's a poor design and deliberately fabricated to leak to offset the fact that making it breathe properly would cost more.
Ya know it wouldn't surprise me if this was a HUGE Chinese conspiracy to waste all Westerners time.While were busy working on our little Gas tanks their busy taking-over our respective countries.........diabolically simple. ;)

Fetor,
the conspiracy started out of HT Land ages ago, they shut down and sold all the Tech. High Schools here. ( For those of you who don't know the difference of Tech. High Schools and High School, up to the late 70's you either had a choice, High School to be a doctor or Tech High School to be mechanic, fitter/turner, carpenter etc)
They closed all those tech schools down nationaly, and now we have a skill shortage and the courts are full of 15 year olds driving stolen cars through walkways and bike-ways while being chased for snatching old lady's handbags.

hi i thought i would add my thoughts on this subject i cannot see the point of a locking petrol cap after all if someone wanted your 2 litres of fuel couldnt they just take the hose off your tank tap?

Leaking cap

As usual excellent work by Large, "Wish you were here" to fix my bike :rolleyes:
To answer Micks original question. I bought a replacement Petrol Cap from
Warren at ZBox, and it leaked also. Hence, why I have a spare cap ? He seemed quite surprised that both caps leaked. Maybe no-one ever told him they leak ?

So Mick, keep your original cap, until someone works out an easy/working
replacement we're stuck with it. If you do find one let me know. I know I'm not going to attack my Tank with a hacksaw/welder.

my 1.5 cents (AU)

WS.

I thought that might be the case.After seeing the replys here I thought it may be a problem with a lot of the caps so I did't bother buying a replacement cap.

I have put a tank type bag over the tank for the time being so it soaks up the petrol instead of soaking me.

I keep looking for a replacement & let you know if I have any luck.

The petrol can that I store my fuel in has a cap that fits sort of but it doesn't have the same thread.I'm thying to think of a way to adapt it.

Back