Huasheng 142F 49cc 4-stroke valve adjustment

Oh my, yes. The claim of 25% more torque over the 142f is easily believable.
The 142F has 2.0Nm Torque, the 144F has 2.5Nm

With the right gears you can speed up a 6% grade and do 40+mph on the flats.

2_Copper10GDoneRightDrive-.jpg.FP

That has an NuVinci 360 internal shifting hub ;-}

The 142F has 2.0Nm Torque, the 144F has 2.5Nm

With the right gears you can speed up a 6% grade and do 40+mph on the flats.

2_Copper10GDoneRightDrive-.jpg.FP

That has an NuVinci 360 internal shifting hub ;-}
That hub is got to be the best thing I did to any bike thus far. Never had such a maintenance free drivetrain on any single machine I've ever owned. The worst that happened is I snapped a shift cable right at the retaining nut that goes on the hub. I had enough slack in my adjustment barrels I was able to feed the shorter cable back into the nut and get home with full gears, even then though if it hadn't worked I could have ridden home in lowest gear which is still faster than pedaling or walking.

Also it uses 2 cables, which might be considered cumbersome but the hub itself has a tendency to slowly downshift towards its lowest gear if left unchecked with a lightly tightened screw that adjusts shifting friction. One could loop the shift down cable around to the shift up side and be able to shift up out of low gear, and hold the shifter grip to prevent it from returning to low gear, not super fun or practical, but it has the potential to get you home at a reasonable pace.

Last edited:
That hub is got to be the best thing I did to any bike thus far. Never had such a maintenance free drivetrain on any single machine I've ever owned.
Fallbrook Tech finally got their 'magic juice' to hold up better so the new NuVinci hubs to hold up, but I get the same reliability out of say an SA internal 5, I have one in the build bay now that is about done.

Last edited:
Fallbrook Tech finally got their 'magic juice' to hold up better so the new NuVinci hubs to hold up, but I get the same reliability out of say an SA internal 5, I have one in the build bay now that is about done.
So when did they change the lube in their hubs? Should those of use who currently own their hubs contact them to find a supplier who sells this new lube to improve our hubs? I have checked their news letters and I can't find anything about recent changes in lubes or 360 design. All I find is the harmony shifter, and the 380.

So when did they change the lube in their hubs? Should those of use who currently own their hubs contact them to find a supplier who sells this new lube to improve our hubs? I have checked their news letters and I can't find anything about recent changes in lubes or 360 design. All I find is the harmony shifter, and the 380.
For unknown reasons they don't want to support or talk about or respond to emails (yea really, I tried sending a few) relating to the 360... They offered to replace hubs that were leaking fluid at one point but that's the most of it.. There's a chance these are press fit together at spots and taking it apart is a no go.

Mine doesn't appear to be leaking after all the time I've had it, but mine came with the updated instruction book insert that indicates it was made after the changes they had made.

If you buy one now it's hit or miss if they will even try to respond to you if there's a problem, seems they are interested in mostly foreign markets where bicycles and electric bikes are taken more seriously.

I don't know when the fluid leaks were addressed, but the design saw a few updates from 2012 through 2015. The 2013 version saw a change in the shifting mechanism on the hub, since that's the only place that an external part that has to do with the inside was changed it may have been there. However 2013 is roughly where the freewheel mechs stopped being a problem as well, and that's the same area as the shifter mech.

Leaking issues stopped being addressed after 2013, so 2014 is looking like the point when that was taken care of. My hub has coding that indicates 2015 as the year of assembly.

They have a 380 now which covers more gears, and they were probably smart enough to design this to not have leaks or freewheel issues, and is one of the only hubs they promote. I think if I buy another hub I'd give that one a shot and see what I like.

You think 5 gears is about just right? How's a sturmey hold up to shifts under load or partial load? Can you shift while not moving and have it in that gear right away or do you need to apply force before it hops gears, like with a derailleur?

So when did they change the lube in their hubs?

Should those of use who currently own their hubs contact them to find a supplier who sells this new lube to improve our hubs?
You have to return the hub, they don't sell the juice.

I started playing with NuVinci hubs back in '12 when they came standard in the Cadillac bicycle.

They would hold up to the smooth power of an electric (~800W)...

2_ElectricCaddyL.jpg

2_ElectricCaddyR.jpg

And would be OK with just 48cc gas...

2_CaddyDoneRight.jpg

But I had 5 hub failures with anything over 48cc...

2_DustinDoneRight.jpg

I don't know for a fact anything was changed, I said I assume they just improved their juice as I haven't had any issues with this new one with a 54cc 4-stroke.

The issue was caused by shifting under power.
The SA RX-TK5 (5-speed disc) hub will shift up or down under full power, but I do tend to drop throttle a bit to upshift, and unlike the NuVinci with no 'gear clicks', it's easy with a 5, on the nuvinci you tend to want to constantly adjust it, and there is where I see the improvement, it seems to do that better now.

With prices of a NuVinci Disc and 5-speed SA disc about the same, it's realy a toss up as booth perform well, but the NuVinci has a slight edge for the 'just right' gearing for the conditions, the SA5 has that firm 'thump in' to actual gears.

You can pop a wheelie with a 5 speed, you can't on a juice based hub.

Last edited:
Back