Huasheng 49cc oil smells like gas

Local time
6:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I just did an oil change at 5 hours and 80 miles since I have been riding it a lot. At the time I had Valvoline Syn power 10w-30 but I heard synthetic isn't great for breaking in engines so I bought a quart of 10w-30 Quaker State conventional oil since I read it is better to break-in engines on. Once the break-in is finished, I'll go back to the synthetic.

I did an oil change tonight and it had some metallic glitter to it but this is expected as it is so new. The oil did smell like gas though when I changed it. Is that a cause for concern? It has been running great and I plan to change it again around 150 more miles or so since I commute a total of 36 miles in one day and I'm still breaking it in. I have a total top speed of around 28 miles an hour with the hoot gear box and a 44t sprocket.

How often should I change my oil as I commute that far 5 days a week? Thanks

- i only used quaker state 10w-30 or 10w-40 for 3k+ miles and it is fine but use better if u can
- i changed at around 200-250 miles with Quaker State I think the synthetic will last much longer
- i also used the oil change opportunity and timing to clean and grease the chain
- grease chain with non-flick chain grease if possible otherwise apply oil and wipe clean; if using actual chain grease can probably do it each 400 miles

Note, since you have the Hoot transmission same as me eventually you will need to address the gear reduction box chain stretch. What is going to happen is that chain will stretch and eventually jump one of the two sprockets inside the box. This means opening up the gear box in the middle of the road and being possibly stranded far away from home. So better to plan something now and have time to think about the design before having to hastily do something overnight or by the side of the road.

Back