Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

I have to work on the header for the MZ to fit. Need to rotate down and pull it back some. Ordered a tight radius mandrel bend just waiting for it to show up.

The tubing came in today. Might work on the pipe over the weekend, but it's going to be in the upper 90s. Hate cutting steel when I'm sweating lol. Might add a silicone tube and some sort of rubber mount.

And all this damn talk about balancing cranks has me ready to split the case. It's supposed to be balanced but yeah, doubt it.

The tubing came in today. Might work on the pipe over the weekend, but it's going to be in the upper 90s. Hate cutting steel when I'm sweating lol. Might add a silicone tube and some sort of rubber mount.

And all this damn talk about balancing cranks has me ready to split the case. It's supposed to be balanced but yeah, doubt it.
Depending on how long ago you received the engine unfortunatly makes a differance in how well it's balanced.I've noticed that his current built up engines now have an extra hole for balance corrections, what factor he's using I'm not sure yet and he's not telling LOL but I'll find out soon enough there's quite a few of them around now!Anyway The earlier version's (undrilled) have only the weight of the rod staticly balance and no extra weight can be hung so none of the piston assemblies weight is offset at all or balanced by the rotational mass,so esentaily it has a very narrow dynamic balance around 7k or so.If you hold throttle to maintain smooth and clean running in small increments between 6 and 7k you can feel this sweet spot where it seems to be the smoothest,even earlier cranks didn't even acount for the rods weight and that sweet spot was even lower and ranged between 5-6k.

Thank you. That's not welded, used brazing rods and flux with a propane torch. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Still needs to be sealed and some metal work done but I had to put it on the bike. Also have to put a vent line on it.
What brazing rods and flux do you use? I’ve tried my hand at brazing aluminum without flux and it proves rather difficult to get to to go where you want. Sweet build by the way!

What brazing rods and flux do you use? I’ve tried my hand at brazing aluminum without flux and it proves rather difficult to get to to go where you want. Sweet build by the way!
Muggy weld super alloy 5.

Not sure about the jbweld in the balance holes :p I know it's to stuff the case. These are the best pictures I have at the moment.
Wow he added weight buy filling in the holes so balance will be that narrow sweet spot only,yes there filled to reduce case volume but actually make very little diferance overall compared to the engine fighting the imbalance most of the time.

Wow he added weight buy filling in the holes so balance will be that narrow sweet spot only,yes there filled to reduce case volume but actually make very little diferance overall compared to the engine fighting the imbalance most of the time.
When I first saw it I still thought he was the most awsomest builder and he took into account the weight of the jbweld LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back