I just installed a grubee skyhawk gt5 - interesting

Is the clip all the way at the top of the needle? If so and it's still 4 stroking you need to go 1 size down. 72 is the wrong direction. 69 or 68 is the right direction, but only if the clip is already moved to it's highest position on the needle.

Some of the new grubee's carbs. only have 1 notch in the needle. If this is the case with yours then you'll have to go down 1 size on the jet. What size is the next smaller that you have.

Last edited:
Is the clip all the way at the top of the needle? If so and it's still 4 stroking you need to go 1 size down. 72 is the wrong direction. 69 or 68 is the right direction, but only if the clip is already moved to it's highest position on the needle.

Some of the new grubee's carbs. only have 1 notch in the needle. If this is the case with yours then you'll have to go down 1 size on the jet. What size is the next smaller that you have.

Thanks for clearing that up. I am using the carb off the ebay motor. I think there was only one notch on the needle but I will double check.

I was wrong. I have the "speed" carb. I moved the C clip all the way up but it still was losing power periodically unless I was balls out going up hill. I dropped in a #69 jet and I think we are getting closer. I gained a few mph.

I am going on vacation for a week but I will drop some real gas and a new plug in when I get back and see what's up.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Well I ran through my tank of break in mix and filled it up with 32:1 and put a NGK iridium plug in and had plans of going for a spin. I turned the fuel value on and gas started running out of the air filter. Floats are supposed to "float" right? Not store fuel :)

2yjo4fn.jpg

I swear, one of these days I'm going to get this new motor running :)

Well I ran through my tank of break in mix and filled it up with 32:1 and put a NGK iridium plug in and had plans of going for a spin. I turned the fuel value on and gas started running out of the air filter. Floats are supposed to "float" right? Not store fuel :)

2yjo4fn.jpg

I swear, one of these days I'm going to get this new motor running :)
That float appears to be not right... At least you have some spare fuel should you run out whilst on a long trip.

Well their's an explanation for a somewhat rich condition? Now I'm thinkin the #70 might have been just fine.

I have seen 1 bad float in just a s**t load of repairs and builds. It was on a new carb.

I've seen several over the years - they aren't worth the effort to fix them.

I messed with different jets this weekend and it is running the best with a 67. It still has a little hesitation around 5200 rpm where it will climb in rpm up to that point, then stick around 5200 for a few seconds. After the little pause in action though, it will just climb and climb until I'm going over 40mph and I back off.

Anything richer and the stumble around 5200 is increased. I put a 65 in it and it would barely rev so I assuming that was running extremely lean at that point.

Back