I really shouldn't get it

Tyler6357

Local time
3:23 AM
Alright, I was checking craigslist and I found this bike for sale. It looks like it would be fun to get it going but I don't know much about 4 stroke engines. The thing is, I already have 2 bikes, what do I need another one for? Still, what a cool frame, that alone has got to be worth the $250 asking price. The ad says "Four stroke custom motorized bike. One of a kind gas tank and modified frame. Top speed 35 mph, no pedaling required to start. Runs but needs some work." Hmmmm, it seems like a super good deal. Will someone please talk me out of this. :)
00303_1SsX5Rak6vJ_600x450.jpg
00d0d_c1KJOH54ZVN_600x450.jpg
01717_8iCDjXc8k8c_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like a great deal; but you need to know what is wrong with the engine that "needs some work" and be confident that you can fix it.

Seems like a great deal; but you need to know what is wrong with the engine that "needs some work" and be confident that you can fix it.
I know, the engine might be shot, still the frame, forks and everything else is probably easily worth $250, even without the engine, but my bikes are all 2 strokes, I don't know much about 4 stroke engines that are made for mounting on bicycles. Do you recognize that engine?

I’d be tempted if it was near me. I like that frame. Lowball them and say you only want the frame.

Go for it- If you cant get it going another sucker will come along and buy it from you. probably only the coaster rake- and having a look at the chain on the peddle side- looks like ti runs through a tube to get under the engine- interesting but may negatively impact breaking. And any engine problems can be figures out- more than enough information on the interweb. It looks like somebody put some cash into that thing then got frustrated and gave up- a fresh set of eyes and some tenacity might be all it needs. The swoopy frame may have some weakness - check for cracks!

Look for any cracks in the frame or leaks in the tank. If none it's a steal. Buy it. The tank alone is worth over 250, and with some breaking/ wheels upgrades you have a real nice bike. You couldn't touch a rolling frame with tank for that so even if you have to replace the engine you're still ahead. If it was local and in good shape it would be on my front porch.

Yeah, I sent the seller an e-mail so I can go take a look at it. See what happens.
Definitely, I'll look for any cracks in the frame, it looks like it might be a steel frame but I'll check that. It probably has a coaster brake only which isn't enough in my opinion, and what kind of front brake will work with that fork?

Yeah, I sent the seller an e-mail so I can go take a look at it. See what happens.
Definitely, I'll look for any cracks in the frame, it looks like it might be a steel frame but I'll check that. It probably has a coaster brake only which isn't enough in my opinion, and what kind of front brake will work with that fork?
I almost guarantee it's steel, but worth checking. My choice would be to get a disc front wheel and weld some tabs on the forks accept the caliper.

Back