Ill admit I was warned...

GW's Motorized

Local time
5:20 AM
Just to start off with, fenders look sick, but they come at a price.

I love the look of fenders on a bike, and I would love to keep them, but I should have taken the 5 or 10 minutes to reinforce mine.

My bike is an older Huffy Newport. It's an amazing frame, and it has fenders.

I was headed down the road going 35 when with zero warning my bike started skidding almost like socks on tile. It went for almost an entire block. My rear fenders had busted off its mount and bound up the rear wheel and went under it. Now my rear wheel is screwed and the almost brand new tire.

These are the pictures
20230424_155447.jpg

20230424_155451.jpg

20230424_161959.jpg

This is what it did to my fender
20230424_162003.jpg

Just to start off with, fenders look sick, but they come at a price.
They sure do.

I love the look of fenders on a bike, and I would love to keep them, but I should have taken the 5 or 10 minutes to reinforce mine.
I also like the look of fenders as well, I'm old fashioned that way.
These are the fenders I used to replace the metal stock fenders since they break off due to speed and vibration and will cause you to have an accident or worse, thank God your OK, all ya had to do was clean the racing stripes out of your undies...lol.

Ps...I also reinforced mine by first drilling out the rivets reinforcing the metal strip that holds onto the plastic fenders with plumbers strap and replacing the rivets with nut and bolts to hold onto the fender...They haven't budged in 2 or three years now and actually look good on my bike.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueSunshine-Adjustable-Mountain-Bicycle-Mudguard/dp/B073VSGP1B/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2K6L6FYUU92SB&keywords=motorized%2Bbicycle%2Baccessories&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=motorized%2Csporting%2C245&sr=1-12&th=1

I was headed down the road going 35 when with zero warning my bike started skidding almost like socks on tile. It went for almost an entire block.
At least your fender only turned into a ski...lol...It could have jammed up and caved in the whole wheel itself causing major damage to the bike along with your body as well.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I see your pedal sprocket also jammed itself into the rear part of the frame too...Ouch.

Am I to also assume it twisted the rear part of the frame out of alignment while it was at it ???

I see your pedal sprocket also jammed itself into the rear part of the frame too...Ouch.

Am I to also assume it twisted the rear part of the frame out of alignment while it was at it ???
Yeah, it buckled the frame a bit too. I'm just going to buy a new bike when I can, for now I'm walking.

I'm just glad your OK...Your more important than the bike is...Bikes can always be replaced, you cannot be replaced though.
Yeah, I think the main reason I didn't completely eat it is I don't panic when things like that happens. I've had a couple of things happen like that. The front wheel came off my go kart once and almost flipped it.

Back