Inch pound

Carcher

Local time
11:31 PM
How do I determine how tight the cylinder head should be without an inch pound tool ?? any senior help!!! SNUGG plus a little more Would that do it ???

How do I determine how tight the cylinder head should be without an inch pound tool ?? any senior help!!! SNUGG plus a little more Would that do it ???
I would get a torque wrench, but because I found mine was broken, I tightened it by feel.

As a mechanic with almost a couple decades of wrenching, 12Ft lbs feels just barely snug, using your wrist instead of your arm to tighten.

That said, it's very easy to mess it up, so get a tool and make sure to do an X pattern little by little.

Yeah, you'll get the feel by hand for 7 ft lbs and 12 ft lbs,
but first I suggest to get a Inch lb torque wrench so you can compare by hand
Torque wrench should be in your tool box anyways if you got a M/B, M/C, Car etc...
Torque specs isn't an exact science anyways just a recommended amount for you to aim for to get within a couple lbs
Torque wrench is best because ya know ya hit that mark

alot of factors can affect torque to within a few or a couple lbs, that's why it's not an exact science

In M/C and Car repair manuals you'll notice the torque specs aren't exact but they give a range to get in between Min and Max

Unless you are putting spark plugs in a ford focus
S/P have a crush washer so it's usually hand tight and another 1/2 turn - or +

Ford Focus, tighten the S/P as much as you can by hand then tighten it another 11 ft lbs

My Harley S/Ps are 14 - 19 ft lbs so I use a torque wrench set at 17 ft lbs

Check out this 5 step process for tightening the head bolts on my Harley M8
Besides using torque valve Harley uses degree value too

Step 5 tighten another 90* turn

DSCF3614.JPG

Looks like they want you to squish the gasket then snug then TTY.

First time I saw torque specs to loosen though.

Yeah squish gaskets stretch threads & bolts then use the RFT torque value (Real Frickin Tight) :ROFLMAO:

Back