Intake Resonator

Dang you Akutey, slid that "Warped Perception" $hit on me like a pusher gives the first free one. I'm HOOKED! There is hours wasted, me like a zombie, watching buddy in what looks like my crazy space (garage) answering the burning questions I've died to ask. Well, you guys will know where I'll be for the next few days. I gotta watch EVERY episode, over and over again...

We actually have a dyno like that where I teach, although it is a band brake. Operate it just like he does, rated for only 1hp or less, but boys does it get hot. That disk would not be hard to gear up on a jackshaft so we could run it with a chain. You are right. Safer than spinning a weight up to 10,000 rpm.

Actually you wouldn't really need to know an inertial flywheel's moment, any flywheel will do because you just want to see measurable gains or losses. You just need an accurate way of timing it's acceleration. Still a problem, and so is spinning a huge weight. No, you have the answer.

An engine stand with a chain driven jackshaft, filmed while we drag the engine to a stop from max rpm. We would record rpm and torque on the scale and those figures plunked into an Excel file would give us a torque and HP curve. Awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've got a thousand things to do but this is brilliant. If I can get the metal guys to deliver while we are on lockdown... Is this essential?

I've seen this done with a torque arm attached to the caliper and a load cell with Adrino software,pretty effective brake dyno.I'm still wanting to do an inertia/wheel hp setup,have all the steel and stuff needed but that flywheel is a b**ch! I didn't realize a train wheel is like a ton literally,It's hard to find a suitable,heavy,balanced,roller or flywheel. There is some great software and cheap enough hardware to get pretty accurate results from the various type of dyno now a day's it's pretty cool!

Steve Best was saying how his boost bottle negatively affects the rpms that the boost bottle isn't tuned to. Idk if this happens with all boost bottles or not, but I think I might know why. Let's say the boost bottle is tuned to 1000 to 3000 rpm. And right now the engine is running at a constant 4000 rpm. The fuel charge hits the closing intake valve or piston and starts travelling backwards. It travels up the full length of the boost bottle and than back towards the the intake. Since the boost bottle is not tuned for 4000 rpm, the fuel charge once again bounces off the closed valve or piston and it continues to repeat this process until it meets the opening valve on time. Without the boost bottle present at 4000 rpm, a fuel charge will bounce off the closed valve but will get sucked in sooner since it travels less of a distance. If this is true for all boost bottles than it would be a beneficial thing to figure out how to deactivate the boost bottle when the rpm is out of range. There may be other factors and I'm no expert at this and this is just my thoughts on this issue and I want to know what you guys think.

Steve Best was saying how his boost bottle negatively affects the rpms that the boost bottle isn't tuned to. Idk if this happens with all boost bottles or not, but I think I might know why. Let's say the boost bottle is tuned to 1000 to 3000 rpm. And right now the engine is running at a constant 4000 rpm. The fuel charge hits the closing intake valve or piston and starts travelling backwards. It travels up the full length of the boost bottle and than back towards the the intake. Since the boost bottle is not tuned for 4000 rpm, the fuel charge once again bounces off the closed valve or piston and it continues to repeat this process until it meets the opening valve on time. Without the boost bottle present at 4000 rpm, a fuel charge will bounce off the closed valve but will get sucked in sooner since it travels less of a distance. If this is true for all boost bottles than it would be a beneficial thing to figure out how to deactivate the boost bottle when the rpm is out of range. There may be other factors and I'm no expert at this and this is just my thoughts on this issue and I want to know what you guys think.
You just need to do more research to get a better understanding of how it works,the only way to get it to work over a broader band is to have the length vary with rpm and find the pulse and resonant waves speeds at the tuned lengths.The velocity of the intake pulse loses inertia after the first rebound and now becomes a resonant wave that is subjected to atmospheric pressure witch again slows it,and at 4k the piston is traveling 66.6 times per second creating the vac that allows the atmospheric pressure to rush in and create that velocity and really all the boost bottle/resonator does is equalize some of the pressure exchange by giving it a buffer zone in a way. We tried running tuned exhaust with a throttle body and linkage that changed the pipe length to give a broader band width and it worked not sure if they still do it or not on out board hydro planes for drag racing but even then they only ran well in that range and sucked when it came to milling up to the line LOL.Now if we could do that on a bike WOW when in that range LOL but that's very unlikely due to the complicated setup.The boost bottle was commonly used in conjunction with an air box that also helps with the resonant wave.look up the y.e.i.s system from Yamaha though no longer used their engine setup is greatly improved since then and works better without it!

Yeah I read all about the yamaha energy induction system. I sent a link on this thread about it. I actually designed a boost bottle with an adjustable cavity. It would be made of an expandable hose. Unstretched, it would have a target rpm of 4500. Then using a clutch lever and cable type switch, it will expand the hose to a target rpm of 2200 with just a pull of a lever and lock in place with that button on the clutch lever. The cavity would be "splinted" with rods to guide it because expandable hoses like to move laterally when contracted. The neck would be designed the correct dimensions to allow the cavity to expand/contract to those rpms with the distance that the lever pulls. Its probably more difficult to make than it sounds but its the simplest thing I could think of so far.

Ya ya ya-ma-ha

Dammit!! Now I got Lady Gaga stuck in my head. Thank you myself 😑 I hate that song

Last edited:
Oh one thing I wanted to ask about boost bottles. They say it reduces intake noise and for obvious reasons. How well does it quiet the intake and is it only quieter in the target rpm band?

Oh one thing I wanted to ask about boost bottles. They say it reduces intake noise and for obvious reasons. How well does it quiet the intake and is it only quieter in the target rpm band?
You'd need an air box to reduce the noise,any p/p open carb can be heard with or without boost bottle.

Back