Is a 12v generator worth it?

You folks needing 12v should consider one these. I've actually jump started 2 truck with dead batteries using this. Good for charging cell phones, laptops. Reserve capacity is a lot for small draw devices. Easily hook it up for lights or other accessories. Can be recharged 1500 times.

And it has several usb outs? The OP want's old school, engine runs lights are on, the faster you go the brighter they get and the reliability of Lucas electrics. Although the good thing about battery power, you have a light source to trouble shoot a dead engine on a dark road far from home.🙄

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Did you just say "reliability" of Lucas electrics???...lol...lol...I owned an MG, Triumph, and a Jaguar...I never use the word "reliability" and Lucas in the same sentence...lol.
He knows, please reread the post and read in between the lines. Li sarcasm you'll discover.

Did you just say "reliability" of Lucas electrics???...lol...lol...I owned an MG, Triumph, and a Jaguar...I never use the word "reliability" and Lucas in the same sentence...lol.
My first car was a Triumph tr3 I've had many British cars worked on them most of my life also at one time I had 36 British motorcycles I'm down to 24 never got stuck on the road from electrical problem with the exception of one time I had a Yuasa battery short out and go dead on me but it was a British bike so you disconnect the battery hook up the big blue cap and a ride home. Most problems I've seen with Lucas Electrics was due to lack of maintenance and ham fisted youths with Cutters and crimp ties.

I corrected the brand name spelling of the battery...I also had a Yuasa battery that took a dump on me on one of my motorcycles...lol...DAMIEN

I corrected the brand name spelling of the battery...I also had a Yuasa battery that took a dump on me on one of my motorcycles...lol...DAMIEN

Yuasa is a good batt in my book. A lot of folks treat a m/c batt like a car batt. Not driven for months and a computer/clock draw on them. They need to be trickle charged if not used for months at a time. They don't have the reserve capacity a car batt has, my opinion. Most Japanese OEM'S use Yuasa as standard.

Exactly what I always did with my motorcycle batteries...Didn't help me with my Yuasa...I got one season out of it back in Boston, trickle charge during off season and all.

For most people a battery powered lighting solution is the simplest, most effective, and reliable. A 12V 20W LED H4 light puts out real headlight levels of light and only draws 1.6 Amps. Toss in a high output LED tail light and you are still around 2 amps total.

I can build a battery pack with 8 high discharge IMR 26660 batteries to power said lights for up to 4 hours. These are cells designed to output 40 amps continuous at 3.7V, which are completely overkill for this scenario and have a relatively low capacity. 4 in series run in 2 banks of parallel gives 80 amps continuous discharge capacity (120 peak). I actually used these cells to build an emergency start battery for my dual sport, and yes, it worked lol.

I have other cells of the same type that can only do 10A continuous, but have 3 times the capacity. That gives 10 hours of potential charge and 20 Amps of continuous discharge capability, which is 10 times what is needed to power my example/theoretical headlight/tail light combo.

A battery pack that is 2 inches tall 3 inches wide, and less than 5 inches long - making it smaller than, or the same size as, most small powersports batteries for things like a dirt bike, can run a headlight and tail light for up to 10 hours.

Heck, just 4 in series could do it and last up to 5 hours. 4 of these batteries takes up about the same space as a weirdly shaped smart phone.

I get the theoretical appeal of having a generator on the vehicle, but with the way battery and lighting technology has been going, it offers a more than adequate alternative for most scenarios you can find yourself in.

LED lights using rechargeable batteries. Rear light will last days if left on, 2 AAA. Use 2 lights on the bars, one for a low beam, other a high beam. 4 AAA each and will shine 24 hours if left on. I'm a big fan of rechargeables, Eveready. Those batts last years with regular/low usage.

Exactly what I always did with my motorcycle batteries...Didn't help me with my Yuasa...I got one season out of it back in Boston, trickle charge during off season and all.
This Yuasa was brand new, put it in my Triumph t160 for a trip to Pennsylvania, died on the way back.

Back