is this normal?

I almost always wrap my frames with a bit of innertube during an install. especially the fuel tank.....the friction from the rubber holds the tank upright, without stressing the tank mounting bolts by tightening too much.

no rubber on the tensioner!! use good bolts & tighten the poop out of it!! :D

ya I tried black tape too. I think that if I use the existing clamps mounted solid to 2 pipes 8" long or so then put the rubber dampers at the ends of the pipes, I think I would gain enough leverage that the motor wouldnt torque to the side and would still dampen the vibration. still thinking it over and am thinking about incorperating a chain tensioner into the mount also. I realy would like to lose that idler that came with the bike.

These engines need miles on the bores before they smooth out, Do what I did, lend you bike to the girl nextdoor and when she arrives home without a big smile on her face it's run in. She's on the bus and your bike's now nice and smooth.

motorcycle shops sell bar end weights, these fit inside the end of the bars and help to dampen out the vibrations. P.s. the girl nextdoor and I are still good friends.

bar end weights. that makes sense. they sometimes use lead shot in boring bars to dampen harmonic vibration but I would have never thought of it unless you had mentioned it. thanks and that girl next door is still your friend because she wants to break in your next overhaul. a pipe filled with lead shot fastened to the motor might dampen vibration to if it was done right. where is a machanical engineer when you need one?

Harley engines are usually mounted on springs and things...so with my newly found hobby (MIG welding) Im gonna try mounting my engine on shocks or sumthing, but you must be careful to not allow any motion other than a parabolic vertical movement.

This save the chain and drive from getting chunky and messed up :D

Chances are, it'll just vibrate right through the shocks to the frame. But hey what are boring days for anyways :D !

a new intake gasket and getting some floaties out of the float bowl have made a world of difference I also think the motor may be starting to break in. the vibration is down to about 20% of what it was before. I still have vibration over 20mph but its very tolerable now.

Back