Its a shame mopeds never were a thing in the states.

cloakedvillain

Local time
12:46 AM
A small motorcycle that is well made, for a fair price and can ridden by anyone? Yes please! I got half a mind to build a custom frame but the money, tools and time aren't there. I want a yamaha gt50 or a honda cb50 so bad. Just something light and peppy to run around town or country roads.

A small motorcycle that is well made, for a fair price and can ridden by anyone? Yes please! I got half a mind to build a custom frame but the money, tools and time aren't there. I want a yamaha gt50 or a honda cb50 so bad. Just something light and peppy to run around town or country roads.
You don't see the small ones that much here in Tennessee; the hills are just too steep. However, where I'm from in South Carolina you'll see lots of people riding them. Especially the ones who've lost their driver's license. In SC it cost $25 for a moped license and rear moped tag.

You don't see them alot around me because there are mostly small towns or small cities with 55mph highways between. You see them more in big cities where people don't need to "go in to town"

Why have 50cc when you can have 500? Gas was cheap. My last bike was a 1976 Yamaha 500cc 4 stroke single. A slightly dialled down 500 TT open class race rig. Before that was a Yamaha 425 IT enduro that somehow I was able to insure for the street.

Now I have 66cc of raw fuel spitting power.

Moped 49cc and est. 200 mpg
In the 70s Mopeds were popular in the USA because of the gas shortage
It was estimated that in the US 1/2 million people owned a moped
Soon rental companies capitalized on renting mopeds in tourist areas.
A moped or a trail bike. The trail 90 and trail 70 were very popular and affordable. They both got great fuel mileage and "could go anywhere"

A moped or a trail bike. The trail 90 and trail 70 were very popular and affordable. They both got great fuel mileage and "could go anywhere"
We are talking mopeds, not trail bikes in this particular instance that Wrench is talking about...Yes, in the 70s during the Arab oil embargo curtailing oil to the US, mopeds were quite popular for those folks only needing short distance transportation.

So those that lost their license are essentially riding without one since I am assuming they would not be eligible to obtain a moped license either???
In SC they can still get a moped license as long as the suspension is longer than 6 months. If it's shorter than 6 months they can use their revolked license like a moped license but must still purchase a rear moped tag. If your license is suspended and you're using a moped license but receive another suspendable offense then your moped license will be taken also.

150cc scooter will get you anywhere except the highways/interstates, 60mph. I could see myself on a scooter again if climbing over a bike is an issue. Only thing less would be a FI Honda 125cc or a Yamaha Zuma 125cc. Anything less is just too damn anemic.

Back