Leaking Tickler

I had this problem with mine, and it cost me $.07 to fix by getting a screw from my local hardware store. I've heard many times on this site that the tickler is basically worthless :eek:.

IF it is a leaky tickler, it is an easy fix (again, IF it is a leaky tickler). Here is what I had to do to mine (thanks to the advice of wayde) :cool::

1. Take carby off, take the bowl off, and find the back of the tickler.
2. With a needlenose pliers, remove the cotter pin.
3. Then, remove the tickler (from the outside of the carby).
3. Get a 1/2-inch woodscrew (I used a size #8) and screw it into the hole to plug it.

See picture attached, and good luck! :cool::

fuel should not flow out the tickler.....unless your carb is not even close to being level.
the tickler is above the bowl.
the needle valve shuts off the flow of fuel, in the bowl. (the float pushes the valve closed.)
fuel should go no higher than the top of the float. (the float level can be adjusted)
plugging the tickler off does not solve the problem....that fuel has to go somewhere....either out the air cleaner, or inside the engine block.

check your needle valve & float.

Last edited:
It continues, my note to my daughter:

Julie,

So to fix the terrible leaking carby problem, I assumed a crudded up carby:

Your bike leaked like crazy in our garage after picked it up from your place.

All right, after an exercise in disassembly and reassembly, the carb is clean, sparkling like new. Took it all apart, in 60-70 pieces. Polished them all, ran solvent and washed them all. Blew air through all orifices. Got the air filter clean, everything. Reassembled it, put it back on the bike.

I put the new fuel filter on the line. So I ran the bike up and down the driveway with Anna the dog biting the tires. Runs on full choke but kind of half heartedly. So after an hour or so of messing around of sputtering I stopped. The fuel line is leaking a little at the fuel line connection at the carb. (What if that was the whole real leak and this reassembly was all irrelevant...?). So I cranked on the hose clamp. Is that still a leak? Squirt squirt with Mom's darkroom aircan to check for fluids. I think its stopped.

So I think now that new problem is the new fuel filter, restricting gas to the carby. The gas lays visibly partly half full in the filter but I think it is missing in the lower fuel line, (it's hard to tell if the fuel lines are empty or full). The bike is sitting in the garage with a towel under it (check for leaks). If it still won't run tomorrow I'll pull the fuel filter and replace the fuel line without one.

It may be that a loose hose clamp at the base of the fuel line at the carb was the culprit and that an uninterrupted fuel line is the key to buzzing.

So my only concern is that the summer marches on while my wee feeble brain sorts this out but you have no bike.

Pa

Back