Legal problems

It's all about money they want your money to register it ect. also if it doesn't have a plate they can't really trace it thats why they dont like them as long as you don't get caught its fine but there my advice is make a hybrid bike that has a electric and gas motor that way through town they won't hear an engine it takes alot to make a bike with a 212 legal you need lights turn signal ect. and possibly motorcycle license that's if it passes some dmv inspection.

I just thought of something. Let's say hipothedicaly a new legislation states that all motorized bicycles are required to have a new centrifugally operated brake system inside the rear hub effectively limiting the speed to 25. This hub has not been invented yet but it can exist and will solve a lot of legal problems. All the officer has to do is be sure the bike has it. What do ya say. It will limit all motors.
Too easy to disable, a police officer would have to ride the bike to be able to ensure the mechanism is functional. It would have to be a law that stretched the entire United States for it to be of any profit to design and manufacture and sell.

As far as the United States cares as long as they get their taxes on the imported and sold products then the after effects don't matter if it can be left in a state's hands to figure out.

Hello my name is Chris and I own a beautiful customised Schwinn 1980 Typhoon with a 212 cc predator engine. It will go well over 25mph but that doesn't mean you have to be going that fast. A motor that big will last much longer at 25 get my drift. I think a little 49 cc will wear itself out struggling to maintain 25 at Wide open throttle. I have a simple solution to the legal system and I want everyone to protest the stupid complicated laws about what's ON the BICYLE. The VIN number means bicycle which means it is unlawful for it to exceed 25mph whether it has a motor on it or not!!!!! It shouldn't matter what motor it has as long as the operator doesn't go over the bicycle speed limit or they get a speeding ticket for breaking the bicycle speed limit law. It shouldn't be a crime for crying out loud!!! Also what idiot thinks a lawnmower engine is a motorcycle engine!!!! A lawnmower engine is only good for 3600 rpm and a motorcycle engine is capable of 8 grand. They all turn 3600 rpm or throw a rod!!! Let's all protest and make the law simple for everyone so that it's regulated by a cops radar gun and not what the damn bike has!!!

This post is for all not just OP. If you are NOT damaging property, physically injuring someone, or violating someone's legal rights, the cops DO NOT have a valid cause of action against you, PERIOD! A ticket/citation is a defective complaint on its face. Just do whatever you want as long as those top three things are not violated. AND go look at Marc's website especially the success stories page. Order his Motion to Strike/Dismiss doc. Read it. We live in a common law jurisdiction. Look up these cases:
Generaux v. Dobyns 134 P.3d 983, 986; Estate of Selmar A Hutchins v. Fargo 72 P.3d 638, 640, Tyler v Judges of the Court of Registration 179 U.S. 405 21 SCt 206, 208, Barton v. City of Lebanon 88 P.3d 323, 326, Soowal v. Marden 452 So. 2d 625, 626, Eversly v. State 748 So.2d 963, 966-967, State v. Allen 335 So. 2d 823,825 (State v. Allen - most important case) Look up "corpus delecti cases".

Just trying to help.

Last edited:
You got that right! A good group of bicycle riders can work together and cruise well into the 30’s. AFAIK, there are no bicycle specific speed limits anywhere in the US. On mountain descents, nothing outhandles a modern racing bicycle. I’ve descended in the 50’s many times. Exhilarating!
funny thing is you can PEDAL as fast as you like BUT the motor had better not go over 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about money they want your money to register it ect. also if it doesn't have a plate they can't really trace it thats why they dont like them as long as you don't get caught its fine but there my advice is make a hybrid bike that has a electric and gas motor that way through town they won't hear an engine it takes alot to make a bike with a 212 legal you need lights turn signal ect. and possibly motorcycle license that's if it passes some dmv inspection.
Is it possible to register a bicycle with a 212cc engine and all lights horn electrical system and legally ride it with motorcycle plates? I don't want to break the law. Where would I have to take it to inspect it for it to become a true motorcycle that passes federal saftey standards? Has anyone attempted this?

come to NSW australia.

they took the simple approach. they just banned IC engines altogether.

for years, it was 30cc, 200watts, 30km/h limit.

then it got changed to only 200 watts and 30km/h limit... but by other rules, the limit was 50cc. anything over 50cc has to be registered.
but technically, by overlooking rules that werent mentioned, you could have used any sized engine.

along came the happytime engines, nice and cheap, and of course, anyone that was someone decided bigger is better, and the 66/80cc dominated.

a couple of bogans decided to break every rule in the book and wound up dead.

go watch mad max.... filmed in broken hill, NSW...even there, the middle of NOWHERE, the IC engine is banned on pushbikes.

there will always be idiots that break the rules and ruin it for everyone.

and as for legal recourse... it goes like this...

"why are you riding a motorised bicycle?"

"to get to work"

"so why cant you drive a car to work?"

"because i lost my license for DUI, speeding, or generally not obeying the road rules"

"so now, you expect to just bypass the punishment you have reaped, and demand you be allowed to ride a motorised vehicle on the roads? despite having proven that you have no respect whatsoever?"

"um....yes"

"piss off. heres another year of no license and a few more hundred dollars in fines. oh, and a criminal record.. enjoy!."

Grape if I was you I would just get a honda ruckus its a cool looking scooter and you only need a class c they dont go 20mph like most mopeds they go 40-45mph im thinking of getting one and they're legal. If you don't have a class c then idk what you can do since I don't know your state. Another thing you could do is get a 48cc 2 stroke and get a lighting kit from zeda and a generator and register it as a moped. Red beard's garage on YouTube built a occ schwin with a 212 I think he may have got it legal, he hasn't made a vid on it in a while but he did have a headlight and signals I think.

Last edited:
I'm new at this motorized bike thing my first build was a few months ago. I live in Illinois and not sure what the laws were on the subject I called the DMV. ( Ma. was 49cc limit but then banned, Ca. was 16 yrs and a helmet.) any ways the lady at the DMV told me that in the state of Illinois as long as I can peddle the bycical it is still considered a bycical. so to make sure I understood her I asked her so what is the limit on the size of the engine I can legally put on my bike? She again told me as long as I can peddle the bycical it's still considered a bycical and I can go anywhere a bycical can go.
I have ridden it on the bike trails in the park ( I do respect people using the trails walking and all) cops see me and do not bother me, I have been on the road me on my bike in the middle lane to go straight a car in my left to go left and a cop on my right to go right and he just waved to me and said nice bike. I haven't had a problem here. I LOVE IT

I'm new at this motorized bike thing my first build was a few months ago. I live in Illinois and not sure what the laws were on the subject I called the DMV. ( Ma. was 49cc limit but then banned, Ca. was 16 yrs and a helmet.) any ways the lady at the DMV told me that in the state of Illinois as long as I can peddle the bycical it is still considered a bycical. so to make sure I understood her I asked her so what is the limit on the size of the engine I can legally put on my bike? She again told me as long as I can peddle the bycical it's still considered a bycical and I can go anywhere a bycical can go.
I have ridden it on the bike trails in the park ( I do respect people using the trails walking and all) cops see me and do not bother me, I have been on the road me on my bike in the middle lane to go straight a car in my left to go left and a cop on my right to go right and he just waved to me and said nice bike. I haven't had a problem here. I LOVE IT
Well isn't Illinois just so great! I would take caution listening to the dmv clerks, they aren't really legal workers, they are paperwork handlers, you give them the pieces of paper they need for a task and they do it, as soon as you deviate from their religious practices they shut down and behave very confused and require a break to situate themselves. They usually can't handle thinking outside that so to get any semi-straightforward answer at all was miraculous. I would not bet that it's as simple as she stated.

Back