License Plates

darwin

Every state is different, figure which state you want then look it up in the law/legal threads. How many cc matters a lot too in each state. Here in CO over 50cc and your a full blown m/c and all rules and regs apply. That's why it's important to stay under 50cc here. Whole different set of rules. Then again bicycles are a gray area here. Most cops don't care but it only takes one to write you those 2 or 3 tickets to ruin your day. I heard they can impound your bike. Once that's done it's all up to the lawyers and even if you do win your out 3 or 4k in legal fees...………...…………………….so did you win? I wish there was a way for normal Joe's to look up court cases for precedent to help folks out.

Last edited:

willis617

I checked with DMVand found no way in new York, just wondering if someone had a different experience

The_Aleman

It depends on the state. NY is messed up, MaB are supposedly completely illegal there and NYC itself is known for confiscating ebikes :confused:

Most states don't have a plate for MBs unless you went through all the trouble to legally obtain a motorcycle or moped plate. Most states don't even have moped plates. In California it's really easy to get a moped plate, bike unseen by authorities (despite that, I refuse to plate mine).

Even if you were to have a friend set you up with a legal Cali plate for your bike, the dang things are illegal in NY state. Might make an interesting fight regarding right-to-travel perhaps, if one has the time.

Geno

It depends on the state. NY is messed up, MaB are supposedly completely illegal there and NYC itself is known for confiscating ebikes :confused:

Most states don't have a plate for MBs unless you went through all the trouble to legally obtain a motorcycle or moped plate. Most states don't even have moped plates. In California it's really easy to get a moped plate, bike unseen by authorities (despite that, I refuse to plate mine).

Even if you were to have a friend set you up with a legal Cali plate for your bike, the dang things are illegal in NY state. Might make an interesting fight regarding right-to-travel perhaps, if one has the time.
I was wanting to run a shift kit and be legal in Tennessee. Thanks for the reply.