Looking for a cheap e bike kit for a 29er mountain bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin67

Local time
12:22 PM
I have a 29er Diamondback recoil mountain bike, and I wanted to convert it into a e bike. I'm not looking for anything crazy expensive. Any kits you would recommend?

Edit I looked for some 29er e bike wheels, and they are much more expensive then the regular 26''

Mid drive is the way to go if you want a decent electric mountain bike.
If you really need it to be cheap (tbh it's never cheap, the batteries cost a lot) then you should maybe teach yourself wheel building and switch the 26" rim from the pre-built kit wheel for the rim from your 29-er, with some new spokes of course.

from what i know, there are about 3-4 motor types at different price range and adv/dis.

1. gearless hub motor = cheapest / has cogging (resistance) which I think is ~25-30W
2. geared hub motor = a little more expensive, free wheel / usually need to build wheel from hub
3. mid drive = expensive, free wheel, use bike gears / require tools and certain bike types
4. friction engage = not sure on price / questionable in the rain???

a while ago, i had a 1000W gearless hub and i could definitely feel the cogging which I think is about 25W. remember, a normal person can generate like 100-125W at a brisk pedal. a spandex biker is about 200-250W. an olympic bike can be like 750W peak for a few minutes.

did u look on ebay for your kit?

I looked on leaf bike. I did not know that the batteries didn't come with the wheels.

There are used ones I can find on my local craigslist but is buying used especially for e bike equipment risky since I hear they only last a X amount of charges.

I looked on leaf bike. I did not know that the batteries didn't come with the wheels.

There are used ones I can find on my local craigslist but is buying used especially for e bike equipment risky since I hear they only last a X amount of charges.
Yeah that sounds like it would be a bad idea. I would have look at the Endless Sphere forum to see which battery pack suppliers are recommended by the members there. Not that there's anything wrong with MBc but there's a lot more e-bikers there. :)

Walmart has ebikes now w/lithium batts for $500 or so now.

I have a 29er Diamondback recoil mountain bike, and I wanted to convert it into a e bike. I'm not looking for anything crazy expensive. Any kits you would recommend?

Edit I looked for some 29er e bike wheels, and they are much more expensive then the regular 26''

If you'll be riding your mountain bike offroad, I agree with a previous poster that a mid-drive shifter is the way to go. Sick Bike Parts offers this:
http://sickbikeparts.com/electric-shifter-kit-shiftelectrikit-3000w/

You'll need to know how to swap out the cranks and bottom bracket on your bike (and, of course, have the special tools required). It's a basic, no-frills kit (no pedal assist, no e-brake levers, no display). But SBP sells lots of upgrade options as well as virtually every component in the kit, so you can replace parts as they inevitably wear out (freewheels, etc.). The kit does include a decent pdf manual and the service and support I've gotten from SBP has been excellent.

The kit is $350, plus maybe $400 for a decent battery puts you at around $750. Is that "crazy expensive"? As always, that depends on the context. Compared to a low-end hub drive DIY kit with no battery for around $200, yes. But it will climb like a mountain goat on steroids and run rings around most hub drives. Compared to a pre-built ebike mid-drive shifter, that could sell for $3,000 - $4,000 or more? It's a crazy cheap bargain!

I also agree with a previous poster that for reliability/longevity, you'll want to build or buy a stouter back wheel than what comes stock with most bikes (12 gauge spokes would be nice). So factor that into your budget. Otherwise, be ready to start breaking spokes at around 1,000 miles or less, depending on how aggressively you ride.

-- The Phantom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back