Lost my license, looked into scooters, laughed, found motorbiking, FELL IN LOVE!

docwee

Local time
8:52 AM
ok so, well to start I live in Richmond Hill, GA a small town outside of Savannah and I lost my license for a year starting 9/13 due to dui(I know i'm dumb). I need transport to work and such so I looked into scooters for the below 50cc requirement for ga unlicensed commuters. I was unimpressed with the whole scooter idea due to prices and(um yeah the word for it is "uncool") so I kept looking. What I found via internet was a thriving motorbiking community and I started researching the topic. I FELL IN LOVE! So here is where I am. I just bought a new Huffy 26" men's Cranbrook because I needed a bike anyways and it was cheap(I know there are problems with this bike and ppl say don't get lured in by the price but guess what, dui's are expensive so my budget is limited on this so I bit). I need this to last me a year so I insist on doing things correctly the first time and I can afford neither the time or money to learn the lessons of this awesome hobby(lifestyle is a better word for what i've seen on this forum alone) but now that I realize that this will be the first of many builds I want my first build to run smooth and this forum will probably be my main resource to accomplish this goal. Ok thats the back story so now the questions start based on my limited research of my needs.

1. The first question is probably the most obvious and most frequent on this forum and im sure that ppl with tell me to look at other post but here go's. What kit should I buy that is under 200 bucks that will last me the 1st year, and what parts in said kit would need aftermarket replacements for optimum performance as I have seen certain kits have **** carbs, plugs ect. for my inexperience I was looking at Skyhawk gt5 or gt2(i know the gt5 is beyond the 50cc limit for my situation but i am willing to risk it if the performance is notably better).

2. Dealing with the cranbrook specifically, is the stock bike enough for the stress of motorbiking? Do I need aftermarket parts because for one I heard the wheels and tubes are **** also I have concerns about breaking as the cranbrook only has coasting breaking and it would seem inadequate for 30+ mph breaking. Would adding front caliper breaks alleviate my concerns or will something more be required. what and where to acquire them.

3. I have read that the fenders on cheap bikes like mine are dangerous and can kick you from the bike if they fail. solutions for modifying and reinforcing them would be most appreciated. Or is removal the safest option

thats all I have for now, please post links to threads, answers ect. (I am truly sry if ppl are annoyed buy my lack of searching farther into these questions as I know that these answers are in other threads but I need specific cranbrook related posts and I didnt find one that suited my situation after my feeble efforts lol also my one year old daughter is quite demanding of my time :))

I look forward to becoming a member for future builds and a play by play of this one. thanks to all that respond and sorry for the longwindedness.

Howdy,
Not to be a downer, but you'd better check your motor laws before you get to motoring.You have a revoked license, big difference than "no" license.I know for a fact in some states you're not allowed to ride a MAB if your license has been DUI revoked.I know, how can a dude get to work, but if it's like that there, and a copper pulls you over it would be the same as driving your car on your revoked license.

Howdy,
Not to be a downer, but you'd better check your motor laws before you get to motoring.You have a revoked license, big difference than "no" license.I know for a fact in some states you're not allowed to ride a MAB if your license has been DUI revoked.I know, how can a dude get to work, but if it's like that there, and a copper pulls you over it would be the same as driving your car on your revoked license.

Good point and good post.

Welcome to the forum and as to the rest of the questions, let's just say among seasoned motored bikers who stick with this for the long haul, put on the miles and want reliability, a consensus begins to take shape: a decent MAB is gonna run at least $1K.
Can it be done for less? Sure, but you're gonna do it more than once.

Last edited:
well my lawyer assured me that as long as its under 50cc and 2 hp and doesnt exceed 30mph it is license exempt. i'll call my local sheriff to verify and this first one is my budget build and only needs to last a year or so. afterwards im sure i'll want to build another with more speed, better frame ect. but for now it's all I can do. I'll post with law enforcement verification when I can. and thanks for the quick responses. ::eek:

well ****. further research has led me to believe that a valid license is needed but not for electric assisted under 100wt and 20mpg. wonk-wonk. any ideas on that?

Back