Lower Mount Strap on my GeBe broke!!!

Engine Strap

Yes, and they serve two purposes.

Truth be told, installed to hang Trek bag and later realized it also held engine well. Two will be better - I have another ready to go on other side, but the weather has been so bad I have yet to take a cruise.

I remade the center strap anyway, out of narrower aluminum stock and only use to support cable. If I can find pic, will add below.

Bad streets are common all over country , it seems.

Have to be very careful of the long grooves that are showing up in roads that can jail the front tire and flip even a motorcycle.

Theses long "troughs" can be bad enough to be grabbing hold of front car tires and a serious safety problem...

Attachments

• Gruv24.jpg
    Gruv24.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 269
Strap ideas

Great ideas for anchoring the straps.
The only break I had was the forward strap attached under the seat.
It snapped but was easily repaired.

I had the belt lever spring break also. I have to park outside so weather dampness could have been a factor.

Now I'm researching the spoke situation. Broke 3 last night at 2600 miles.

I am in very hilly, mountainous area, so anything that cuts down on engine stress is appreciated.

Thanks for the anchoring idea.

http://goldeneaglebikeengine.blogspot.com
Blog Kit Build and Experience from June 2007
Golden Eagle Bike Engine ~ Subaru Robin 35cc 4 Stroke
Current miles : 2,664

Hey all,
I just got my GEBE this week, and I'm working on the installation. As it turns out, due to the thickness of the rear tubes that connect the rear axle to the seat tube, my lower mount strap is going to need to be bent out. :( It seems to need to be sprung so that each of the notched ends of the strap that rest on the axle are exactly one 10mm nut's thickness away from where they "want" to be. This amounts to an overall displacement of 2x the thickness of the 10mm nuts that come with the kit.

Is this reasonable?

I don't have a way to heat and bend the strap, and I don't have welding capabilities. Do you think this will be alright?

Thanks in advance,
-Rock

It would definitely be best to relieve any stress on the strap. It may however be "doable" to just tighten down the axle nuts, with washers, and hope for the best. Since the pressure is equal on both sides of the strap, it shouldn't cause any immediate problems. Again though, if it were me, I'd try to find a way to slightly bend the strap evenly, and uniformly on both sides to conform to the wider mounting situation. In fact, if in doubt, I might take it and have it done at a metal shop. No matter what you decide to do, after it is done, give the horizontal part of the lower mount strap, where the engine mounts, a good eyballing, and make sure that when the lower strap is standing on it's "legs" on a table or flat surface, that the top horizontal surface of the strap is parallel to the table top. Good luck on that one!

You are welcome sir! I hope I'm not telling you a line of hogwarsh...lmao If you knew of a place that you could take the whole bike to, and tell them what you want, and they could just do it for you, (as far as forming the lower mount strap), and it costs fifty bucks, it would be well worth it in the long run. Another endeavor you may want to undertake, is to have an additional strap made, replicating your modified strap, or possibly using a slightly heavier guage metal than the original. With the thicker steel, and the custom fit, you'll probably never need another lower mount strap.....Just food for thought. :)

Great ideas for anchoring the straps.
The only break I had was the forward strap attached under the seat.
It snapped but was easily repaired.

I had the belt lever spring break also. I have to park outside so weather dampness could have been a factor.

Now I'm researching the spoke situation. Broke 3 last night at 2600 miles.

I am in very hilly, mountainous area, so anything that cuts down on engine stress is appreciated.

Thanks for the anchoring idea.

http://goldeneaglebikeengine.blogspot.com
Blog Kit Build and Experience from June 2007
Golden Eagle Bike Engine ~ Subaru Robin 35cc 4 Stroke
Current miles : 2,664

Do you have the 12g wheel that gebe sells?

My bullet proof mount.

after i attached the engine mount i beefed up the support by adding an extra cross bracket. attached from the mount to the frame using nut & bolts and a pipe conduit to attach to the frame.

This is about as bullet proof as i need it apart from welding to the frame, i hadnt quite straighted the one in the background when i took the picture, thats why it looks to be at such a weird angle. I wrapped the down tube with a peice from an old rubber tube which dampens any engine vibrations.

On the frame mount i used rubber from a hitch cover, between the adapter plate and the engine mount and it works perfectly, the hitch cover only cost $2.

Attachments

• tn_PICT0508.JPG
    tn_PICT0508.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 451
Back