M8x1 to m8x1.25

Spare_Parts

Local time
4:15 AM
Hey guys, I have an older case with m8 fine cylinder studs. Want to swap them out for coarse thread and looking for inserts. Not going to use helicoil ir any other spring type for this project. Seen a few where you drill out the hole and the insert taps its own threads. Was wondering if anyone has any input for a brand or where to get them. Thanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I found similar but shipping takes forever. Grainger has them for$10.46 each plus shipping lol

Thread inserts for this application will not cut their own threads, those are for wood, plastic, and the like. The insert that you're looking for will have to be installed in a previously threaded hole, but the thick wall will likely consume to much of the surrounding material.
A helicoil really is the best choice, and can usually be installed with a bolt that has a notch ground in the end to drive the insert tang, so all you need to buy is the tap and appropriate drill.

BTW, 1.0mm vs 1.25mm pitch is 25.4 tpi vs 20.32 tpi, those could both be classified as fine

Thread inserts for this application will not cut their own threads, those are for wood, plastic, and the like. The insert that you're looking for will have to be installed in a previously threaded hole, but the thick wall will likely consume to much of the surrounding material.
A helicoil really is the best choice, and can usually be installed with a bolt that has a notch ground in the end to drive the insert tang, so all you need to buy is the tap and appropriate drill.

BTW, 1.0mm vs 1.25mm pitch is 25.4 tpi vs 20.32 tpi, those could both be classified as fine
You are wrong about the inserts, they are for metal. And for this application helicoil and other spring type are not acceptable.

So their it is. The ezlok needs tapping, but the Leadersert is self tapping. I do think that unless I had the tool for them or something comparable I would still pre tap it but it looks pretty simple with the proper tool.
That was my nickname around the shop. The proper tool. Must have been my good manors.

E-Z LOK is a good product, I've used it many times at my day job, as well as HeliCoil products, if you have enough material around the studs you wish change to allow a thick wall insert, the E-Z LOK is a good choice.

Any self threading insert requires a lot more force to generate it's own thread than a tap, that is purpose made to cut threads, would.
Using a self threading insert in a low end casting my crack it.

I'm not shooting from the hip here, I've used this stuff for years, just trying to help in an area where I have some experience.

Back