Mongoose Dolomite: Need Cone Nuts - Not Sure What To Shop For - Helps meh plox :)

yuckfoo

Local time
11:06 AM
I have a Mongoose Dolomite. I got a flat the other day and noticed that the rear hub was a bit loose. Took it apart, yadda, yadda, yadda, some pitting in one of the cone nuts. I'm not sure what I need to buy. I've asked on a facebook Mongoose page (twice now) and no one has replied.

Need cone nuts for my rear hub (don't know if front and back are different so I specify "rear.") I see "cone nuts" online but no other information as if there is only one size cone nut for every bike. I doubt this is the case. How do I make sure I am buying the proper cone nuts for my Mongoose Dolomite? Thanks.

I have a Mongoose Dolomite. I got a flat the other day and noticed that the rear hub was a bit loose. Took it apart, yadda, yadda, yadda, some pitting in one of the cone nuts. I'm not sure what I need to buy. I've asked on a facebook Mongoose page (twice now) and no one has replied.

Need cone nuts for my rear hub (don't know if front and back are different so I specify "rear.") I see "cone nuts" online but no other information as if there is only one size cone nut for every bike. I doubt this is the case. How do I make sure I am buying the proper cone nuts for my Mongoose Dolomite? Thanks.
Got a picture? If you're careful, pits can be filed out.

Cone nuts are usually specified by the size of ball bearings in the hub, measure 1 of your balls with digital calipers, then measure the length of the nut, lastly you need to know axle size. So let's say your bearings/balls are .250" then your cone nut is ½" long & a 3/8axle. The measurements could be in standard or metric readings. Your cone nut would be ¼x½x⅜. Hope this helps you out a bit.

Take your rear wheel to a reputable bicycle shop. There they can get you exactly what you need. I'd also suggest getting a cro-molly axle as well. With factory axles it isn't a matter of will it bend on when.

Cone nuts are usually specified by the size of ball bearings in the hub, measure 1 of your balls with digital calipers, then measure the length of the nut, lastly you need to know axle size. So let's say your bearings/balls are .250" then your cone nut is ½" long & a 3/8axle. The measurements could be in standard or metric readings. Your cone nut would be ¼x½x⅜. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Thanks. The thing is nothing I've seen matches the size of my dust caps. I've looked at tons of cone nuts, a few come close to my measurements but the dust caps are always way off. Anyway, I realized that the axel would fit in my battery powered drill. After grinding away the worst of the problem with the dremel, I stuck it in the drill and used 80 - 120 - 200 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 2000 sandpaper and was able to polish all of that away except for a tiny hole that I figured was too deep to go after.

Side note: Couldn't get my cassette off. Had someone come over to help. Still couldn't get it off (chain whip + big wrench + 2 people.) Took it to a bike shop, first guy said "It won't come off." Luckily 2nd guy overheard and wanted to try it. (hold my beer.) Got it off. He said he "used a bigger wrench." lol... not sure what that means but the spokes aren't broken so I guess it was a good job. 🤣

Thanks. The thing is nothing I've seen matches the size of my dust caps. I've looked at tons of cone nuts, a few come close to my measurements but the dust caps are always way off. Anyway, I realized that the axel would fit in my battery powered drill. After grinding away the worst of the problem with the dremel, I stuck it in the drill and used 80 - 120 - 200 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 2000 sandpaper and was able to polish all of that away except for a tiny hole that I figured was too deep to go after.

Side note: Couldn't get my cassette off. Had someone come over to help. Still couldn't get it off (chain whip + big wrench + 2 people.) Took it to a bike shop, first guy said "It won't come off." Luckily 2nd guy overheard and wanted to try it. (hold my beer.) Got it off. He said he "used a bigger wrench." lol... not sure what that means but the spokes aren't broken so I guess it was a good job. 🤣
That's because you don't have a cassette. What you have is a freewheel and you need a freewheel removal tool along with a heavy duty vise to put the removal tool in (not chain whips). Make sure your tire is pumped all the way up. Then you and another person should be able to turn the freewheel counter clockwise. You may hear a loud pop when it breaks lose. When reinstalling the freewheel grease the threads. This way if you ever need to remove it again it'll come off a lot easier. All you need to do is turn it hand tight when you put it back on. The freewheel will tighten up as you ride your bike.

You should put a cro-molly axle in as well.

You'll also hear me tell others about going to a reputable bicycle shop. That means look for a bicycle shop that has been in business for several years and has a good reputation

Here's something else you may want to consider my custom built 7 speed 34-13 freewheel. This will give you a lower bottom gear and a higher top end gear. Of course you would have to lengthen your chain for the 34t rear gear. I like using a Shimano HG71 chain.

Sorry there yuckfoo. I forgot about the dust shield & the PITA it can be to find a matching dust shields for cone nuts. I think I gave up 1 time & just ordered a complete axle assembly.

Sorry there yuckfoo. I forgot about the dust shield & the PITA it can be to find a matching dust shields for cone nuts. I think I gave up 1 time & just ordered a complete axle assembly.
Surprised me that bicycle shop couldn't get him what he needed. But then one of the employees couldn't even remove a freewheel lol

Surprised me that bicycle shop couldn't get him what he needed. But then one of the employees couldn't even remove a freewheel lol
That thing was on there good! Two of us couldn't get it off at home that's why we went to the bike shop. Not that guys fault.

Back