Motorized bicycle build help

So the sole reason to go with the mongoose mack, aside from a steel frame, is magnesium wheels/disk brakes?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the brakes will be inadvertently disabled?

Are there any other candidates as far as bikes go for around $170.00 USD and under?

Any additional pointers?
Would this bike get me up a hill?

Any bike can get you up a hill, if the thing pushing it is strong enough.

If you go direct drive then yes you'll loose a brake, but it's not inadvertent it's just how it is in most cases. You might be able to save the disk brake but will require plenty of modification.

I don't know if there are any good candidates around you, last election went pretty bad, I thought they all sucked.

No but really look for deals, Walmart gets returns now and then and Craigslist is a good place to find all kinds of parts and bikes for a good price. Just get a good bike and you'll be happier than not.

It seems like the shift kit is complicated to install. I'm just looking for a way to to 6 mile round trips with a moderate level of hills ahhh. Would the shift kit be overkill?

How big is the sprocket on the mongoose mack?

Okay then, I guess I'm planning on getting the mongoose mack, and probably an $80.00 USD - $100.00 USD engine from eBay. And the hub adapter which I almost forgot. (I'll have to track that down)

It seems like the shift kit is complicated to install. I'm just looking for a way to to 6 mile round trips with a moderate level of hills ahhh. Would the shift kit be overkill?

How big is the sprocket on the mongoose mack?
Shift kit would make it more of a bike that you want to ride rather than dread. It's not complicated, it's just more involved and requires more precise work.

Hills aren't always fun but if you are geared right on a single speed you'll have no problems with hills at all.

• I've heard it gets pretty scary going high speeds on bicycles. This seems to negate the utility of a shift kit?

I'm really excited, hopefully it'll be fun to to drive without the shift kit.

Would the bike be geared good for me or would I head aftermarket sprocket?

Do I need a single speed conversion kit?

Which hub adapter do I need? How much are the pre drilled ones?

There is really good public transportation where I'm at. Perhaps I'd be better of opting for a razor scooter to get between bus and train stops. Any ideas here? What'd make a motorized bike better for transportation? Should I be looking at a regular old bicycle even, possibly?

Ok here's some advice. I have the exact bike, the Mongoose Mac, that your considering & I love the bike. The frame is solid and for the price of $180. it just looks nice. As someone mentioned you DO NOT need a sprocket adapter. Frankenstein offered me great advice to simply drill holes in the stock sprocket you'll get with your kit. When you remove the back disc brake rotor just align that with your sprocket and mark your holes and drill. You'll attach that right to your hub and it's a lot better then any adapter. And since your getting rid of your back brake just add a back caliper and you'll be good to go. I personally WOULD NOT go wth the cheapest 66cc kit you can find on eBay or whatever. I was also searching for the least expensive set up but there's a 1,000,000 warnings from motorbikers who will strongly suggest you spend a bit more and get a quality set up. I went with the Grubee Skyhawk, got it on sale but you can readily find a kit for $150-200. With any kit there's always room for upgrades, for me I'm constantly trying to figure out how to improve performance. With mostly any kit it's suggested you get a quality chain tensioner & depending on your bike a sprocket adapter. If you go for the cheapest kit then I'd definitely get quality hardware, 8.8 bolts. Prior to having the Mongoose Mac I had a Schwinn beach cruiser & I got tired of it for a lot of reasons. So here's a list of my upgrades, Chain Tensioner ($30), Hub Adapter ($40), CNC Head ($40), Expansion Chamber ($55), Carb ($25) Thumb Throttle (I do not recommend this so I bought a different one), Throttle ($15.), New Spark Plug ($5.) Lights ($60) and I purchased a couple of things to prevent flats ($30). I got all of that & now I'm trying to figure out how to port my cylinder, it's an addictive hobby. For you I think if you spend $180 for the bike, $150-175 for the Grubee kit, $25 for the chain tensioner & $5 for a spark plug you'll be going about 25-30 mph max in no time and you'll be worry free. If you do get that frame be sure to post pics. Wow that was a lot I wrote, now I'm going to sleep.

It really does look like a decent enough bike to put a motor in, I'd do it looks pretty simple too since it's the right size on basically everything. The very nice thing about most hub adapters and really all disk brake adaptable hubs is you can easily align the sprocket with the drive by moving a clamp or just as easily flipping a sprocket or adding some spacers.

Those wheels look damn cool too!

Drill holes in the stock sprocket from what kit?

Won't I need a hub adapter
?

If so which one (is this what goes into the drilled holes or what?)

Bottom line is what all would I need to go with the mongoose mack?

I'll go with a cheap eBay engine,

Do I need a psrocket ?

Hub adapter?

And a chain tensioner outside of the one that comes included in

Back