Recommendations for engine for this frame?

neilhm

Local time
3:33 AM
Hello,

I got this pretty sturdy, rugged looking frame, and I'm wondering about engines that might be a good fit. I've been advised that the shape is probably wrong for a two stroke. Would a four stroke work in here? How about larger engine sizes?

I already have a 49cc mounted on a beach cruiser and I love it. I'd love to do something with this. Would it be possible to weld something on that would successfully take a two stroke? Thanks for the help. By the way, I've painted this a nice sky blue. Someone previously got too carried away and painted this thing in Google colors lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 56
Someone previously got too carried away and painted this thing in Google colors lol.
That IS one of the Google campus bikes that you have there...They were made by a company called Republic.

That has potential for a cool ride. Looks like a brick outhouse to me if you welded a top bar on.

It even has horizontal drop outs. Nice.

Thank you Robe and GW. If I put a small motor on the front rack, what sort of welding would you see it needing?
Robe, what sort of engine might you recommend? I really admired the horizontal drop outs as well

Thank you Robe and GW. If I put a small motor on the front rack, what sort of welding would you see it needing?
Robe, what sort of engine might you recommend? I really admired the horizontal drop outs as well
Project a honda clone would be a good engine. All you would really need to weld is a mounting plate if you do things right.

If you're going to weld, lop those two lower tubes off and put in a cross bar. Then there is lots of room for your engine. Or, you can send it to me and I'll do it.

But, in all seriousness, it's a great frame other than those two little support tubes, has a drum brake front wheel. Can't really tell what is on the rear.

Never ridden a front mount but I would think the handling would be less than ideal.
Like GW said a four stroker would work just fine or a two stroke of your choice, depends how fast you want to go and how much money you want to spend.

If you aren't after ridiculously high speeds (over 35 mph), you could mount a small 4 stroke engine and reduction system on the 2 lower braces. Then put a cylinder style gas tank behind the seat. That way no top tube would need to be welded in. You'd also need a wide crank arm set in order to do this.

You most definitely want to research how to reinforce the fenders if you plan to keep them. More important than going fast is being able to safely stop; so a good duel wheel braking system is a must. A coaster brake isn't considered a good braking system for a MB.

Back