Muffler contacting front tube

Joast

Local time
4:51 AM
I am building a Zeda 80 kit. It is pretty much done. The muffler is mounted and barely contacts the front bike frame tube when it is tightened.
Will this be a problem? I could probably move it out about a 1/16 inch if I drill out the flange mounting holes or tip the motor a little, but I wonder if it
is hurting anything as is. If moved out too much, it will contact the left pedal. Could I just secure it to the tube with a clamp?
pic below. Thank for any opinions on this. John

Attachments

• mufflertube.jpg
    mufflertube.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 103
I am building a Zeda 80 kit. It is pretty much done. The muffler is mounted and barely contacts the front bike frame tube when it is tightened.
Will this be a problem? I could probably move it out about a 1/16 inch if I drill out the flange mounting holes or tip the motor a little, but I wonder if it
is hurting anything as is. If moved out too much, it will contact the left pedal. Could I just secure it to the tube with a clamp?
pic below. Thank for any opinions on this. John
The only thing that would concern me would be the tube heating up due to direct contact with the muffler to the point of melting and fusing the electrical wires to short out your electrical system...Your CDI box is mounted there as well...Heat is its enemy.

That small point of contact isn't gonna heat the frame up that much. It shouldn't transfer much heat at all really.

That small point of contact isn't gonna heat the frame up that much. It shouldn't transfer much heat at all really.
Do you see how close that wire is to the actual heat source???...It IS a hazard.

We had one other guy here on the forums in the last two months who didn't heed the advice and did exactlly what I just described.

Do you see how close that wire is to the actual heat source???...It IS a hazard.

We had one other guy here on the forums in the last two months who didn't heed the advice and did exactlly what I just described.
I don't see what wire you mean. Maybe a shot from a different angle would show it better

I don't see what wire you mean. Maybe a shot from a different angle would show it better
The wires coming from the motor are going up the tube and then crossing over to the right hand side of the bike right below where the muffler is touching the frame tubing...The wires are zip tied or tagged down, (can't quite see which way), right to the tube as well as the wire appearing to be wrapped around the tube at least one time.

Oh ok. Yeah that is a little close for comfort. I thought you meant that the heat would travel all the way up and damage the cdi

Oh ok. Yeah that is a little close for comfort. I thought you meant that the heat would travel all the way up and damage the cdi
Well, any heat that could be transferred by a direct connection, as in touching the tubing, could be just enough heat to fry the CDI depending on motor temp, exhaust temp, ambient outdoor temp, etc.

Thanks for the input. Yeah the wiring is presently zip tied down the tube on the opposite side of the muffler.
I was thinking about some sort of barrier or insulation around the wires at a minimum.
The CDI is located about the only place it will go without splicing in a longer wire and maybe mounting it
to the top tube under the fuel tank. I would prefer not to drill out the flange and make the muffler off center.
Thanks, John

Attachments

• centruion2 (2)wiring.jpg
    centruion2 (2)wiring.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 83
Back