My Bike is a Pig

I think if the CDI is wired backwards, it will fire at BDC. So you were getting spark, just not at the proper moment! Glad you got it running!

Thanks arceeguy, trust me to find the way to make it not work,
but appear to be working.
To finish this thread, I rewired the blue cable through the new kill switch, last night, and it still worked fine. I must have had it wired backwards before DUH!

Its amazing what happens when you start with the motor working, and then make changes to it, rather than make 50 changes and not know which ones
made your bike fail...

Now onto lighting, noise reduction, and wheel fix ups etc etc,

Thanks again all.

Last edited:
I've read those white wire horror stories too.

Don't know whether it was a coincidence, or killing spark with that method had anything to do with it. All I know is using the white wire technically should do no harm at all. You are simply loading the low voltage tap so no voltage is induced in the high voltage tap. I would rather have six volts at the kill switch rather than 100+.

I would rather have six volts at the kill switch rather than 100+.

I'm not going to debate the white wire, I have had enough trouble without introducing more.

One question, are you afraid of your Light and Power Switchs at home ?
In Oz, ours run at 240 Volts, and whatever current thats in use. I've never thought of being scared of them there, so don't see why I should with the water proof, 15 Amp rated one on my bike...???

I'm still grateful for the diagnosis. I'm not sure how I miswired it before.

Last edited:
..........One question, are you afraid of your Light and Power Switchs at home ?
In Oz, ours run at 240 Volts, and whatever current thats in use. I've never thought of being scared of them there, so don't see why I should with the water proof, 15 Amp rated one on my bike...???

I'm still grateful for the diagnosis. I'm not sure how I miswired it before.

You have a waterproof 15 Amp switch on your bike, but most of us use the kill switch that is integrated into the twist throttle, which is not waterproof. I was just theorizing that if water gets into the stock switch, there may be enough leakage current to cause the engine to quit until the water dries out.

I'm pretty sure I remember a thread where someone had ridden their bike in the rain and then it would not start. They replaced the stator coil, then the CDI, and it still would not run. After the bike sat for a while, they tried again and it started right up. There are some posts here that claim that the CDI unit will die if it gets wet, but since the circuitry is potted in epoxy, this is unlikely. I'm beginning to think that the stock kill switch is the problem.

Back