my motor kit arrived but possible problems?

far as I know bolts don't unscrew from the tank. I also cant see a 1/8th hole in a steel tube larger than half inch diameter as being a problem structurally, unless it's a paper thin tubed bike like you find on walmart's special rack.

I wouldnt glue a tank to the frame, but I also have a bad habit of putting my bike in my truck on its side when it breaks down so...

I don't know why anyone would say don't change the hardware out, the hardware ends up as 90% of the headaches on stock motors!! Im working on a jag style modded motor, plus a few subtle differences, and the first thing i did was drill the cylinder threads out for the exhaust and intake, tapped and helicoiled them back to stock sized thread, replaced both sets of studs with grade 8 steel.

At the very least, change the bolts out, you'll end up with stripped threads and heads otherwise... Most bolts appear to be only grade 4 from stock unless you buy a grubee

I don't know why anyone would say don't change the hardware out, the hardware ends up as 90% of the headaches on stock motors!! Im working on a jag style modded motor, plus a few subtle differences, and the first thing i did was drill the cylinder threads out for the exhaust and intake, tapped and helicoiled them back to stock sized thread, replaced both sets of studs with grade 8 steel.

At the very least, change the bolts out, you'll end up with stripped threads and heads otherwise... Most bolts appear to be only grade 4 from stock unless you buy a grubee
I have BBR tuning bolts I bought with kit from bikeberry. That was my intention from the start cuz of things I read on this forum. The consensus seems to be to change the bolts.

changing motor mounts won't hurt unless you tighten them till threads pull out of case - many folks fail to understand that the goal is for motor to be tight in frame, NOT nuts be tight on mounting studs

all h/w in the kit will work fine if handled carefully, and used as intended

I only keep 8.8 and 10.9 h/w here at the shop for guys so ham-fisted that they tear up anything weaker.

I like the stock bolts thay bend and give where hardened ones snap .and if one brakes while riding you don't really notice tell you get home ...yes that plug Will fit fine try it's stock gap before adjusting.some of my plugs are open to 1mm or more . every motor is different

I totally like Crassius' advice to install it like it came.
The real problem is not crappy hardware, but guys who don't understand how tight, or light, to tighten bolts. Buy a 3/8" torque wrench if you are inexperienced to get the right feel for tightening torque. Most of the complaints are "bolts snapped off" and "stripped threads in case". Guess what causes these? Not poor materials but too much muscle.

My motor tears up bolts, even tore through angle aluminum used to mount the front.

I own and know how to use my 3/8 quarter and a half inch torque wrench too tanks.

My problem tends to be, I have too many problems.

Believe it or not.

Therefore, I use grade 8 everything, with helicoils, and rarely lock tight now that I can't take my cylinder out without removing the headbolts..

Forgave my typo.s...

I had the same problem but I think it's how it's mounted to much stress one way or another when done up almost like it doesn't fit the frame well enough.

I usually suggest that one use a curved file, or heavier grinding instrument, cut the front mount groove to match the angle on the bike tube, if you do a nice job you can get an engine lower, with better center of gravity. This also helps drastically with the wobble a motor can have if it's only making minimal contact on the front mounts. This also brings the chain from the engine to a more level point across the pulling surface of the gears.

If the motor is higher up, the more the motor pulls itself down into the frame to reduce resistance. Also why many people experience chain tensioners issues and what they think is chain stretch. The motor over time will sit itself into the frame, by using files on the grooves to match better you sit the engine where it can't get any more stable.

I believe I also recommended this elsewhere, possibly in a private message, but either way it's one of the best starting points to longevity, and it's usually easily found tools to do it. Consequently the first time I did it I used a hand held belt sander. Stuck it in my vise, and used the very end to make a rather perfect mate.

Files work but take more time obviously, angle grinders throw a lot of crap but work much faster.

Get it all depends if you have good goggles or not and the right tools at the right time.

Just f***ing put the bike together already and ride it so you can stop reading so many threads. Experience comes through time not Google believe it or not.

Popcorn chicken would sound good right now. Ee eye ee eye Oh.

I usually suggest that one use a curved file, or heavier grinding instrument, cut the front mount groove to match the angle on the bike tube, if you do a nice job you can get an engine lower, with better center of gravity. This also helps drastically with the wobble a motor can have if it's only making minimal contact on the front mounts. This also brings the chain from the engine to a more level point across the pulling surface of the gears.

If the motor is higher up, the more the motor pulls itself down into the frame to reduce resistance. Also why many people experience chain tensioners issues and what they think is chain stretch. The motor over time will sit itself into the frame, by using files on the grooves to match better you sit the engine where it can't get any more stable.

I believe I also recommended this elsewhere, possibly in a private message, but either way it's one of the best starting points to longevity, and it's usually easily found tools to do it. Consequently the first time I did it I used a hand held belt sander. Stuck it in my vise, and used the very end to make a rather perfect mate.

Files work but take more time obviously, angle grinders throw a lot of crap but work much faster.

Get it all depends if you have good goggles or not and the right tools at the right time.

Just f***ing put the bike together already and ride it so you can stop reading so many threads. Experience comes through time not Google believe it or not.

Popcorn chicken would sound good right now. Ee eye ee eye Oh.
Lol I put it together tomorrow and I have someone who builds these as a hobby showing me hands on from the start so all should be good. Thanx for all you guys advice;)

Back