Need Advice on Assembling

Gary55 is talking about this side (the “driven” sprocket). On most applications (if the engine is mounted on-center, as it should be), what you have here is the gear flipped 180-degrees — the teeth should go toward the spokes. That’s a pain in the ass to correct, ‘cause it means dismounting/reinstalling the rag-mounted sprocket (just to flip it over), but that should get your chain clear.
I can't go through that again ... it was hell getting that sprocket on ... and I don't think I have the clearance that way. I want to go with gary55 second solution. So which side does the washers go?

I can't go through that again ... it was hell getting that sprocket on ... and I don't think I have the clearance that way. I want to go with gary55 second solution. So which side does the washers go?

I hear ya — yes, that’s a pain in the ass! The washers (or even another axle nut, if you have room) would go between the existing left-inner axle nut and the inside of the dropout, to shift the whole assembly slightly right. Here’s a similar example...

If you can stand to endure the hassle, flipping that gear would mean less opportunity for other stuff to get out of line, because stacking space on the left will also cause the frame spread to widen and possibly start causing alignment issues with brakes, maybe even a readjust for shifting on the right. If it works, and it doesn’t have to go too far, yes, spacing is the way to go.

The first way won't work because I don't have the clearance ... which side are you talking about ... I'm confused on that.
This side?View attachment 88845
This side. The side with the big sprocket.How would doing anything on the side with the small sprocket create more space between the frame and chain on the side with the big sprocket?

One that attaches to 2 stays is best, another mounts to your tranny/engine case. There's a lot of safer choices.

This side. The side with the big sprocket.How would doing anything on the side with the small sprocket create more space between the frame and chain on the side with the big sprocket?
You will have to forgive me gary ... I'm afraid I don't see things that clearly. Especially when it is something I've never done before.

I hear ya — yes, that’s a pain in the ass! The washers (or even another axle nut, if you have room) would go between the existing left-inner axle nut and the inside of the dropout, to shift the whole assembly slightly right. Here’s a similar example...

View attachment 88850
Thanks for this example ... it really clears things up for me. I believe one washer may be enough ... I will see how much room I have with two.

On the throttle it looks like the way it is design there is a piece that is preventing it from snapping back. Not sure what to do about that yet. While I was taking the throttle apart the plastic piece that hold the throttle in place broke. I replaced it with a metal screw. I am having trouble with the throttle cable coming loose from the carb. Don't know why they don't have a better way to keep that in place. When I removed the gas tank to put the fuel value on while putting it back one of the bolts got stripped, but I think I can still get it on secure. If not I will see if I can find a way to correct it. I order that chain tensioner as gary suggested. Better safe than sorry. On the kill switch I guess I will have to cut those connectors and twist the wires together. Still don't see any kind of kill switch on the engine as described.

Wellsir ... I think I finally got it all together. I found that the throttle cable kept coming loose because the slot in the holder on the carb was too wide. So I glued a washer on top of it to keep the cable from coming out. As you can see I replaced the chain tensioner. Those brackets are too long so I will have to cut them. I put on the washers but the chain is still touching depending on the sprocket. There is a lot of side to side play on the sprocket so I think the chain will hit the fork from time to time, but it will probably be sliding back and forth. I haven't figured out what to do with the throttle catching, but for now I will put it back manually.
P1040524.JPG
I guess I am ready to put gas in it and see if it will start.

Back