need help with chain

ixxGunnerxx

Local time
9:33 AM
i Ordered a New Sprocket ,,, for Back Tire ,, ( since i am Usign an old kit ) .. and i bought a 415 Chain ,, but The chain Isnt falling into the Teeth right , its like the Pitch is To Short ... ( the Chain isn't To small , the Space between the pins are)
I know over time , chain Stretch,, but i don't think it will Be able to Stretch that Far ... Is the Diffrent Tooth Sizes for back tires , all take the Same Size Chain?

weefek

Local time
Depends on what sprocket you bought. Chain stretching has nothing to do with actually fitting on the sprocket or not. Maybe you got a lemon sprocket, or a lemon chain.

ixxGunnerxx

Local time
.. nah ,, i got it on there ,, it Did STretch ... ( i was thinking the Same thing , Maybe Who ever Made it was having a lazy day , and didn't Care , And thought there boss was being a D##k) But i Road it around ,,, and It fits good now ..
I should of Taken a Picture .. cuz it Was like the last 2-3 Teeth wouldn't Fall in to the Chain .. and now its Good . ( i was Always Told Chains STretch ,, but never Wanted to believe it ,, lol , seeing is believing i Guess!)

ImpulseRocket89

Local time
8:33 AM
Whatever chain you end up getting, I like to do a hot soak with a heavy gear oil before using the chain. In really simple terms, you cook the chain in gear oil. for a few minutes and then let it cool. remove the chain and let it hang to drip off excess. This ensures that the heavy oil actually gets into the rollers. I suggest this because most cheaper chains are often not sufficiently lubricated, if at all, from the factory. At best they have a rust prevention coating on them similar to cosmoline. I bought a cheap fryer/cooker specifically to do this since I also have motorcycles and other chain driven things. Hit up your local thrift store and you can probably pick one up for a few dollars. Otherwise, use a cooking pot and make sure your wife don't catch you (and be VERY careful, because it would be a potential fire hazard)

I ordered this specific chain. It's 10ft of 415 Heavy Duty for 25 bucks. It never hurts to have extra. https://www.amazon.com/415H-Motoriz...=1658361859&sprefix=415+chai,aps,1090&sr=8-12

Unlike many of the chains these kits come with, those link pins are properly riveted on the ends so they cannot migrate.