New Build Question Sturmey Archer/Jackshaft

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
it works,.. would be difficult to replicate as i made my own jackshaft,.. also pedal start is impossible (geared way too low).
as far as i can tell the s/a 8 speed will hold up to use,.. but as with anything with these bikes,.. abuse it,.. treat it if it is indestructable,.. it will soon be destroyed.
ill post some new pics of the current setup soon

sturmey archer 3 speed ,shift kit and 4 stroke

I have my Cranbrook set up with a Honda 4stoke, shift kit and a sturmey 3 speed. I personally don't need any more gears. The sturmey / grubee stage three gear box combo works very well for me. I tried the derailleur setup and did not like it. I found myself using only three of the 7 gears. Also did not care for the derailleur chain flopping around and later breaking. With the sturmey I use a heavy duty BMX chain through out the drive line[3 chains]. I now have about 1200 trouble free miles on my sturmey . I do power down when shifting and ease back into the throttle. I do not need to pedal at all . Bike will take off from dead stop and will climb the hills with no assist.
Here is my youtube walk around of my bike that i made last year 2010 . The bike now has a honda gxh 50 instead of the HS 142 and the sturmey archer rear hub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZy5xIfdPI

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I am reconsidering the approach and may go all out for a Honda GHX 35 cc combined with a true pocketbike cvt and rackmount. I am trying to invent ways to lower the motor as much as possible. I like the idea of a completely automatic shifting with power over a range. Thanks for your comment.

Back