New build’s engine: Zeda YD100 - good or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB55

Local time
6:21 PM
Hello all,
I’m looking to start a new build next year after 3+ months of fun with the old HT. I originally thought about getting a 4 stroke kit but I only ride these for fun/sport...no point in getting less speed and performance regardless of other advantages 4 stroke engine kits have. Of course I don’t have the skills to custom fabricate all the parts 79cc or 212cc predator engine would need to fit and run properly on a bike or I would have already done it. I don’t want another eBay stock HT engine since I’ve been there and done that; they are awesome to tinker with but I want something new and more powerful. Saw this 100cc (actual displacement 80cc, still more than “80cc” HT which is really 66cc) for $155 with tax and shipping from Zeda today. It seems that this would already be fast straight from the box (35mph?) and with mods (exhaust, carb tuning, porting, high-flow air filter, reed valves, 38T) it would easily surpass 40mph. This would my second build. What are your guys’ thoughts? Is it worth the $50 extra? Thanks!

I heard it's good but some people are wary of Zeda right now it seems. It's a one piece cylinder head FYI but I run a one piece and haven't had any problems. Most say there's less pedaling with the 100 engine. I'm considering going with one but might just build a franken motor with a 66.

A large segment of new HT engine users tend to see the engine as a do all, be all. power solution to not having to pedal a pedal bicycle. These are nothing more or less than bicycle assist engines, they should not be expected to take a steady diet of running over 30 mph without assisting them with your pedals.

"There's no replacement for displacement", except for the fact these engines need careful adjustment and running considerations, and the 87cc "100cc" engine will only make worse, failures you didn't correct on your previous bike engine conversions.

Buyer beware. Success would be taking a sub $125 Ebay kit and doing it carefully enough to have the engine last longer than a couple weeks.

Like getting a couple years if not a few thousand miles out of one.

I heard it's good but some people are wary of Zeda right now it seems. It's a one piece cylinder head FYI but I run a one piece and haven't had any problems. Most say there's less pedaling with the 100 engine. I'm considering going with one but might just build a franken motor with a 66.
Funny, even with the 66 HT I never pedal except for starting up...:LOL: My neighborhood is extremely hilly but the engine has no issues taking me up at 23mph @38T...only weigh 115 so that probably helps a bit. Downhill...I hit 60mph on the biggest hill. That was actually scary though for a bicycle, most times I’m doing 40mph downhill and 35 on flats. No pedaling is hard on the clutch pads, but keeping them in good condition is fairly easy.

94A14477-E3C2-4592-BC50-ED95530E897F.jpeg

My setup is a 66cc HT with extensive carb tuning for high RPM, 32:1 synthetic oil mix, increased compression stock head (sanding), and a custom free-flowing exhaust with muffling. 38T rear sprocket with 26” wheels. Dual pull high performance brake setup and analog tachometer. Pulls 36mph on flats, 23mph uphill, and stupidly fast downhill @9K rpm or so.

It sounds like you're doing pretty good with performance. I weigh twice as much and I know there's gotta be some awesome benefit being less weight. You would have a good advantage at a race track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back