NEW BUYERS ! Would you buy one of these motors ??????

Wow, this is some heavy stuff... Maybe we ought to have a ride together so we can all smile like little kids again.

There is some heavy stuff here. This thread has raised more than a few hackles.

If anyone feels that the HT is beneath your contempt, then God Bless You.

But why are you so obsessed with them?

People, I know that you get defensive if you think someone's trashing your ride, it's like calling your dog ugly, not good. If you've got a frame mount and have dried bugs on your teeth, that's the important thing. Having fun riding is the only thing that counts. It's easy to get a little uppity, especially when you've spent big bucks but they all just roll down the road the same way. I don't have a frame mount but they're just as cool as any bike here.

I have nothing against these rides per se,I just would wish there were better engines around,but if you do a number on them (use the forums !),ride conservatively and are diligent about maintenance,I suppose you can get decent use out of them.I don't get the impression though,that this characterizes a certain subset of the riders.

also you assume I'm a **** head thats been riding my bike WOT for 6800 kilometres, lmao.
No, read it again. What I did say was that making the engine go at 60km/h at the stock sprocket is very bad for them. Which, you did. I didnt say you rode at 60km/h for 6800km, thats impossible(the engine will blow way before that).

Theres a mountain of evidence here that putting these engines at high speeds(with or without WOT) without a smaller appropriate sprocket makes them very likely to fail because of damage to the rod bearings/bushings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I'll have to chime in and say threads like this is cancer to our love of our bikes.
I think that ANY bike that you LOVE regardless of what engine from what country or if you don't even have an engine or motor on your bike at all if it makes you feel young and alive then you got yourself a winner.
Personally I'm a bit tired of the what's best and what's worst and who is honest and who is not. Okay. If you have a bonified reason to warn people of people or bike kits that's cool I guess. But this just out rights demean the very engine most of us started with.
There are still a whole lot of members out there with very little money that want to experience this love affair. And they will most likely buy themselves a Happy Time and we need to tell them how to maintain that happy time for maximum experience. Maybe later they will try another kit. Maybe they won't. Maybe if they have had a bad experience maybe they will leave.
I know we think we mean well by telling the world what is better what kit to avoid. But most would buy the cheapest engine out there so let's not belittle them for they were once just like all of us.
And some of us STILL think the Happy Time is boss even though we have a rack mount now.
I'm one of them.

actually the tension is now not between HT and non-HT.

Its defensive HT users who reject advice from other HT users in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I own a rack mount, got a nice ride on someone's HT cruiser. They're both fun but you can't fit an HT on a BMX as far as I know... Can you? I'm happy with my decision but I wouldn't mind owning both! I have a wrench, I've had to use it to fix my rack mount...

Back