New invention

now you're thinking

The answer is rare earth magnets, I will post where to find them. Not just one but many,they are very strong for their size. picture this, your bike is going at 35 mph, (Can you compute the rpm of the rear wheel at that speed) eight magnets passing three coils powering LEDs. you could do front and back wheels charging a motorcycle battery in the process. Here is the link for magnets http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm. the coils can come from small fan motors or you can make them your selves from wire https://www.powerwerx.com/registercustomer.asp I'd suggest 24 or 26 GA.
use ready rod as a core .25 dia then just use nuts and washers for the ends, I will let you know how mine comes out. Hey did you ever get bit by the spark from your two stroke engine. that is what I am planing to create I have done my home work I have done some tests using a magnet out of a computer hard drive and a small motor coil, !.5 volts on the volt meter on the 5 volt setting per pass (passing the magnet over the coil) so I share my findings with you.I will post pics of this project and a mini how to post when I am done. Forward thinking If they say it can't be done I say, at least not by them.

The answer is rare earth magnets, I will post where to find them. Not just one but many,they are very strong for their size. picture this, your bike is going at 35 mph, (Can you compute the rpm of the rear wheel at that speed) eight magnets passing three coils powering LEDs. you could do front and back wheels charging a motorcycle battery in the process. Here is the link for magnets http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm. the coils can come from small fan motors or you can make them your selves from wire https://www.powerwerx.com/registercustomer.asp I'd suggest 24 or 26 GA.
use ready rod as a core .25 dia then just use nuts and washers for the ends, I will let you know how mine comes out. Hey did you ever get bit by the spark from your two stroke engine. that is what I am planing to create I have done my home work I have done some tests using a magnet out of a computer hard drive and a small motor coil, !.5 volts on the volt meter on the 5 volt setting per pass (passing the magnet over the coil) so I share my findings with you.I will post pics of this project and a mini how to post when I am done. Forward thinking If they say it can't be done I say, at least not by them.

Putting rare earth magnets on front wheel has actually been done Naeem from India did it on his ghetto electric bike.

Before magnets added-->

file.php

With magnets on front wheel

file.php

Pretty pointless exercise as far as putting any notable charge
back into your batteries ... but will let you find that out for yourself :whistle:

Best source for suitable rare earth magnets is old PC heard drives i have a few spare here
I only need the chassis from them to melt down in my blast furnace, tiz niiiice alloy-->

file.php

if you want some pay-postage and there yours. They are the ideal shape (what Naeem has used on the above pic) PM me if you want some drives, you will have to disassemble them yourself though

KiM

Last edited:
Thanks for the hard drives

thanks for the hard drives but the postage is prohibitive for me at least. The reason his wheel did not create any real usable current is because the magnets are too close together. The over lapping flux of the fields in the magnets doesn't allow the fields to break, also the gap between the coils and the magnets has to be very close so the magnets can receive the full potential of the fields. Of course this must be precise. Remember this is based on the breaking of the magnetic field, this means the coil has to leave the flux of the magnetic field to create a charge. Machiasmort You are welcome and I will give updates and post pics. Imagine charging your cell phone or laptop from your bicycle while you ride to work, cool well I do love being able to share ideas and learning what I can. I picked up quit a bit from this site, these guys are the greatest. soon I'll have my 80 cc flying horse up and running it has a pull start.
Because it is my first build I'm polishing the covers on the left side to a mirror finish (because I can do that) will post pic when it's done. thanks for taking an intrest and keep thinking forward don't let them tell you it can't be done.

Actually i wasn't talking about Naeems being pointless i have no idea how his worked he didn't say at time of his post, i meant the whole idea is pointless for the amount of energy you will get back from it v's the weight added and the extra power needed to push the bike along...i love anything DIY and will watch with interest i just don't see the point TBH. No offence intended at all just my opinion I would love to be proven wrong and i hope i am its a cool idea in principle but i think one of those old style generators that ran on the side of the tire prolly be better way too go.....best of luck...

KiM

p.s If you are super keen on using the HDD magnets i guess i could pull the drives apart this would lower postage costs considerable. I need to pull them apart anywayz before i throw them in my blast furnace ...

Thank you for your post

If you could give me a figure I'd be grateful for any hd magnets and the shielding brackets ( they have mounting holes) it looks like you have more than fifty, so let me know what it will cost to post say, 10 lbs. from Perth to Austin Tx. in U.S.D I will check U.P.S.to see what they charge. if you don't mind I can send a postal money order or you could send c.o.d.but I would still need to know the amount so I can have the money on hand thanks again. as to the generator I will be using a 80 cc flying horse gas engine on the bike to get the rpm needed to produce the energy. I take no offense you are in your rights to want proof and I love to discuss this subject so I look forward to hearing from you. kimblakewood@usa.com you can contact me here once we find out what it will cost thank you for your time. Kim blakewood:cool:

...Imagine charging your cell phone or laptop from your bicycle while you ride to work, ...
... soon I'll have my 80 cc flying horse up and running it has a pull start.

No need to put magnets on the wheel. Your HT engine will already have a spinning magnet inside. The white wire coming out of the engine could easily charge a cell phone while you ride. I use it to keep a 6v battery charged.

Keep this in mind. ANY electrical energy you get out of the generator, whether it's mounted on the bike, separate magnets/coils, magento, etc, is generated by converting some of the motor's mechanical energy to electrical energy. But, nothing is 100 percent efficient. If you have moving magnetic fields, as the fields sweep past the coils, the magnetic fields are what pushes the electrons along to generate your electrical current. However, any metal within the moving magnetic field (the bike forks, for instance) ALSO gets electrical current generated in it, flowing around in little loops. These are called eddy currents, and are one of the sources of inefficiency in a generator. Low power generators just aren't very efficient - they waste a sizable portion of the mechanical energy supplied as heat. Electrical resistance wastes energy as heat. Batteries waste energy when charging and discharging, as heat. Regulators waste power as heat. Your electrical system will need to be well designed to waste no more than half of the mechanical energy supplied to it.

Well, I had a great-great uncle who wasted half his life trying to get his perpetual motion machine to work. He went to his grave insisting that it 'just needed a little more work to get it right.' No one else needs to go through that. :(

There are areas where experimentation and tweaking and inventiveness can work. But, if you have someone who can point out where some of the problems are before you bang you head against the wall, it can save some time (and help with a sore noggin!)

One of the issues with generators is that, in order to keep efficiencies up, you HAVE to keep the air gap between the magnets and the laminated iron core in the coils very small - a few mm should be your goal... I don't know if this is practical with wheel-mounted magnets.

Back