Nitromethane

Hunter

Local time
4:53 AM
I know its probably not a good idea but has anyone tried to add just a little R/C nitro methane to their gas I have some from one of my rc cars and I kinda want to put some in my goped. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

I know its probably not a good idea but has anyone tried to add just a little R/C nitro methane to their gas I have some from one of my rc cars and I kinda want to put some in my goped. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.
Look up member @Karl Snarl and look for his many, many postings where he is always running not nitromethane, but nitropropane on his bikes.

Will it work? Sure. Nitro will make more power, but also more heat. These engines aren't made with the highest quality materials, so try at your own risk. Might want to bump up the oil ratio to be safe, and start small - say 10% nitro methane.

If you're prepared to possibly sacrifice the engine and just want to try it for fun, I say go for it.

I forget who did it, but someone made an engine to run on jet fuel. It ate up the aluminum after a few years
That's the case with a lot of oxygenated fuels (alcohols and nitro-meth). There is a reason I invested in tools rated for bending and flaring stainless steel lines and always used anodized fittings when I would build my race engines/vehicles. Unsurprisingly, it oxidizes the metal over time.

Well I did it, I'm guessing its a Liter gas tank, so I put a decent splash of nitro in and rode it around for about 20 mins, didn't pick up any Rpm's something on this engine is really restricting its Rpms, Only performance increase i had was just better low end torque, I may try to put 2 decent splashes next time but I don't really want to just let it sit in the carb I wanna have time to flush it with non mixed gas so it probably wont be soon because its getting pretty cold out now

Remember, running nitro methane or nitro propane will lean-out fuel/air ratio, and if enough to make a difference of either is used, you must up-jet and possibly retard ignition timing or you run a big risk of blowing-up the engine. Oxidizers like nitro (either kind) provide the additional power thru oxygenating the mix enough that more fuel can (must) be burned. Failure to enrich the fuel/air mix and retarding timing will result in excessively lean mixture and/or detonation... Be careful!

Well I did it, I'm guessing its a Liter gas tank, so I put a decent splash of nitro in and rode it around for about 20 mins, didn't pick up any Rpm's something on this engine is really restricting its Rpms, Only performance increase i had was just better low end torque, I may try to put 2 decent splashes next time but I don't really want to just let it sit in the carb I wanna have time to flush it with non mixed gas so it probably wont be soon because its getting pretty cold out now
Nothing like accuracy in measurement. A decent splash or 2 decent splashes. Lol.

Back