No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

I came across this on the grubee website today.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Hay USA!! Important Note for the upcoming 2010 year:
In 2010, at least as of Nov. 5th 2009, non of the 2 cycle engine factories in China have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051.

Meaning; no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA after Jan 1. 2010 unless something changes. From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 the EPA rating has been 40CFR 90 off road non hand held but now changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. USA Import Buyers beware;

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::cry::cry:

so true

We live in an era of growing totalitarianism. A sort of stalker-mentality "I know whats good for you better than you do" gov. mode of operation.

We are lucky we can ride our freaking mopeds without too many regs or insurance slavery. I am scared even that will be gone for us soon, and it will only be after Perestroika that we will get back even the simplest freedoms.

...This one sentence says it all........

I think a certain amount of flying under the radar IS the American way.....well NOW it is.

Last edited:
......OK.. So you, kerf, decided to take on your legislature by yourself and failed. arceeguy tried to take on his legislature by himself and failed. This d00d from Haleyville tried to take on his legislature by himself and failed. Is anybody noticing a trend here??

When will somebody tell me that 1000 people flooded the legislature with letters, phone calls, and visits to the capitol while riding their MBs... and they failed? When do I get to hear that story?

Hey spanky, did you read what I wrote. I was not going it alone I was with a group of other enthusiasts. Did a nice presentation about MB history, the fuel savings, etc. Also - I didn't fail. I doubt anything will happen unless we contribute to a campaign fund though. What needs to happen is that my legislator drafts and sponsors a bill that then goes through the long process before getting voted on by the state senate and finally to the governors desk.

Whenever you call a representative, the staffer will take your name, address and phone number along with your comment or concern - so you're wrong. It DOES matter where you live. Why would my state representative care what you or 1000 other people that live out of state think?

And remember, last month there were 15,000 angry Americans protesting against health care reform in DC, and last I heard the plan was to ram it down our throats anyway. Lots of "tea party" protests with thousands of people rallying against the massive government spending and record deficits don't seem to be doing much either. So you think 1000 MB enthusiasts getting together is "flooding" anything? Puhleeese! It also seems like me and my group have done more to try advancing MBing than you have ever done. You just like to sit there and tell everyone else how it should be done, rather than do anything yourself oh great "senior member". :giggle:

Last edited:
It also seems like me and my group have done more to try advancing MBing than you have ever done. You just like to sit there and tell everyone else how it should be done, rather than do anything yourself oh great "senior member". :giggle:

no rc, its.... sovereign master.

I think a certain amount of flying under the radar IS the American way.....well NOW it is.

That's how I've been riding, and haven't had any trouble at all.

Question is that do you think any company would invest the time and money to re-engineer the HT (or start from scratch) if the product itself is not technically legal in most states along with ever tightening emission rules?

Please link me to proper forum

I am looking to join or help found an advocacy/lobby group for commuting motorized bicyclists. I agree with the new name ALMO instead of moped or motor bicycle, because those sound "dorky" or "like a motorcycle which requires insurance etc" to outsiders.

ALMO= Auxiliary Light Motorized Outfit. AKA Assisting Light Motor On Board.

technically a moped in NJ. OK, fine - but when you go to insure it, your insurance company can't and even if you could get insurance, you can't register it because it does not have a valid VIN number as required by the state.

The problem here is that even if Sparky and every other member here at MBc contacted government officials in NJ, why would they care? the more money you donate, the better your chances of getting something done.

It is FREE for gubmint to ban them outright and hold up the new tighter rules as a trophy for keeping the public safe.

And the way the HT is saying goodbye is scary. A simple re-classification by gubmint and BAM - they're done.

Hopefully, at least one manufacturer will invest in some re-engineering and testing (expensive) to make a compliant version, but I don't suspect anyone will due to the limited market base.

You should be very careful about cheering when the gubmint outlaws something you don't personally like because sooner or later, they'll be after something you love.

AG, you make some excellent points here... While we are all in favor of States rights, if my MB is legal here, why should I be prevented from ridding it accross the line???

A friend of mine is an insurance salesman and I've looked into having insurance upon my mb... Would homeowners/renters ridder be enough to get you out of UUV fines??? Best of his awareness says he's never heard of a case like that...

Political Parties, both of the Big 2, use laws as a way of extorting the American Public... You don't hear how much they spent re-classifying HT motors but they'll be happy to put a figure on the price of reversal...

At current DMV in NY deffines a motor vehicle as anything having a motor that's on the road... Augi mentioned, I'll just pedal... If you try it in NY, your at potential risk Brother!

A good sized pack of us, ridding respectfully thru Buffalo, (MB friendly) would serve to increase awareness and put the people extorting us squarely in the spotlight VIA media coverage... Ain't gonna reverse HT pollution laws, but might slow the anti-MB agenda down by taking one of the toughest States out of the loop.

Your last paragraph speaks the greatest truth AG!

What about this:

(2) Vehicles with a combined total vehicle dry weight under 20.0 kilograms are excluded from this part. Spark-ignition engines in these vehicles must instead meet emission standards specified in 40 CFR parts 90 and 1054. See 40 CFR 90.103(a) and the definition of handheld in 40 CFR 1054.801.

20kg is 44lbs. If you have an HT kit bike under 44lbs, it would be excluded here.

Back