Ordered me a little welder

I'd be a heck of a welder if my vision was better.
Being able to see what you are doing is a big deal with welding. You wouldn't think it would be an issue with the super bright arc but everything washes out and you end up not seeing much except the flair of the arc.
Really helps to have the welding area brightly lit, sounds counter intuitive but give it a try and see if that helps.

I put a head lamp on my welding helmet when I was practicing overhead. It does indeed help alot to have good lighting
I've seen that they sell ones with built in headlamps. I just ordered a real welding helmet without a light. The one I have now is a leather one with auto dimming lense. It works great, but it's a pain putting it on and off all the time and it's hot in there. How did you put the headlamp on yours? Do they sell headlamps specifically for welding helmets?

I've seen that they sell ones with built in headlamps. I just ordered a real welding helmet without a light. The one I have now is a leather one with auto dimming lense. It works great, but it's a pain putting it on and off all the time and it's hot in there. How did you put the headlamp on yours? Do they sell headlamps specifically for welding helmets?
It was just an elastic strapped one. I put it around the top of my hood.

Where do you keep your rod when your not using it?

Sounds dumb but put a hand full of rod in a taster oven at 125 for an hour or two before you start welding pull the rod out as you need it. The flux is hydroscopic and will pull moisture from the air. Its also much easier to start hot rod.

Keep the rod vertical or have a slight pull angle, strike like a match, keep the arc tight and move fairly quick with small circular motions.

Where do you keep your rod when your not using it?

Sounds dumb but put a hand full of rod in a taster oven at 125 for an hour or two before you start welding pull the rod out as you need it. The flux is hydroscopic and will pull moisture from the air. Its also much easier to start hot rod.

Keep the rod vertical or have a slight pull angle, strike like a match, keep the arc tight and move fairly quick with small circular motions.
I almost bought a rod drier at one point, but I decided against it because the thing was massive

Back