Pedal resistance

Stellsbellz

Local time
6:08 PM
Hey guys I was curious for those who have 2 strokes and 4 strokes. As far as pedaling while the motors not running. Is there any resistance in the pedals. Or do the bikes pedal and feel as normal?

Thanks,
Mike

You will feel the drag from the extra chain and a big drag from the stock chain tensioner on a 2 stroke. I used a half link and ditched the tensioner on my last bike. It was much better.

Four strokes mounted in the frame use centrifugal clutches. The bike is heavier but pedaling is the same more or less.

Awesome. I'm thinking maybe I will.take that route as my frame can accept either a 2 or 4 stroke.

Thanks

Actually the drag on the pedals is the same for 4 stroke or 2 stroke, all other things being equal.
You can pull and lock the clutch on the 2 stroke so there is no engine drag, just like the centrifugal clutch on the 4 stroke.
You will still feel the chain and tensioner drag on either.

On the other hand, the extra 10 pounds (approx) of a 4 stroke is another 10 pounds to get up a hill.

The tensioner will have very little drag if designed properly. Installed on the slack side with a slight bit of slack and minimum deflection angle with light (preferably 410 or BMX type) chain and well aligned will have only a slight friction. Spring loaded tensioners will have more drag and friction. Even better, remove the chain for a long ride without the motor. It only takes a screwdriver.

Last edited:
Actually the drag on the pedals is the same for 4 stroke or 2 stroke, all other things being equal.
You can pull and lock the clutch on the 2 stroke so there is no engine drag, just like the centrifugal clutch on the 4 stroke.
You will still feel the chain and tensioner drag on either.

On the other hand, the extra 10 pounds (approx) of a 4 stroke is another 10 pounds to get up a hill.

The tensioner will have very little drag if designed properly. Installed on the slack side with a slight bit of slack and minimum deflection angle with light (preferably 410 or BMX type chain) and well aligned will have only a slight friction. Spring loaded tensioners will have more drag and friction. Even better, remove the chain for a long ride without the motor. It only takes a screwdriver.
Perfect. Yeah I am thinking I can deal with it if I must. Thanks Steve.

Back