Photos from the first real ride.

I only mixed a single cup of 16:1 so I ran out of gas and had to pedal back but the little 49cc engine did well. Need to get handlebars for an upright position though, my wrists were numb by the end.
Good fun!

Attachments

• 20230319_115152_HDR.jpg
    20230319_115152_HDR.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 1,401
  • 20230319_115203.jpg
    20230319_115203.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 397
Its crazy how much drag the chain adds. Its not That Hard to turn the sprocket with the clutch engaged. Glad to have the 1 to 1.2 on my lowest gear.
Down the road, you may just do what I did...eliminate the tensioner by cutting down the chains to exact fit...It eliminates the drag and chain noise.

Down the road, you may just do what I did...eliminate the tensioner by cutting down the chains to exact fit...It eliminates the drag and chain noise.
I unclipped the spring and while I agree on getting a good tension sans tensioner I do think its good to have one for when the chain starts to stretch. IIRC in industrial settings if a chain is more than 3% longer than brand new it must be replaced immediately.

The chains don't really "stretch' all that much at all...The chain on my bike is still the same one I had cut down for my old Zeda 80 motor about three or more years ago...It now has over 1700 miles on it and hasn't needed any adjustment whatsoever...When I put the Phantom 85 on it, I used the same chain, didnt even have to slide the rear wheel either backwards or forwards to accomodate it...It is still just as good with no excess slack over time and mileage even with the added torque of the P-85 on it.

The chains don't really "stretch' all that much at all...The chain on my bike is still the same one I had cut down for my old Zeda 80 motor about three or more years ago...It now has over 1700 miles on it and hasn't needed any adjustment whatsoever...When I put the Phantom 85 on it, I used the same chain, didnt even have to slide the rear wheel either backwards or forwards to accomodate it...It is still just as good with no excess slack over time and mileage even with the added torque of the P-85 on it.
Huh, well I know industrial power transmission but not automotive or powersports.

I do take the chain off once a year and soak it in a small bucket filled with WD-40 from morning to night and clean it all off till its nice and shiny again, I then dump it into another bucket of my Amsoil Dominator 2 stroke full synthetic oil that I also use to periodically lube it with during the next year. I do that overnight until the next morning, wipe off all the excess oil with microfiber cloth and just throw it back on...The synthetic oil gets into every little nook and cranny and keeps the chain nice and loose for me...I still have spare new chains to use if I ever need to but my old chain keeps passing inspection for me so I see no reason to replace it as of yet.

I did the same thing with my old Huffy frame bike as well with another chain I had on its Seeutec motor and had over 3,000 miles on that one with no real stretch that I could see and was still perfectly good to use as well.

I do take the chain off once a year and soak it in a small bucket filled with WD-40 from morning to night and clean it all off till its nice and shiny again, I then dump it into another bucket of my Amsoil Dominator 2 stroke full synthetic oil that I also use to periodically lube it with during the next year. I do that overnight until the next morning, wipe off all the excess oil with microfiber cloth and just throw it back on...The synthetic oil gets into every little nook and cranny and keeps the chain nice and loose for me...I still have spare new chains to use if I ever need to but my old chain keeps passing inspection for me so I see no reason to replace it as of yet.

I did the same thing with my old Huffy frame bike as well with another chain I had on its Seeutec motor and had over 3,000 miles on that one with no real stretch that I could see and was still perfectly good to use as well.
Darn, that's one stubborn chain. It'll be sad when it finally quits.

Darn, that's one stubborn chain. It'll be sad when it finally quits.
NO, I'm just one "steadfast and unmovable" guy, (Stubborn...LOL), That is totally anal retentive when it comes to good maintenance as well as the overall safety of my bike, not only for my sake but for the sake of others on the road as well.

Back