Preparing engine for build questions

Stumpdummy

Local time
7:45 PM
Hey guys I'm new to building bikes and just got my china doll motor and was wondering what I need to prepare the engine for the build.
Stuff like do I need to grease gears, grease/oil bearings, file off crusty ports , check piston retaining pins , check magneto is in right position , back out studs to avoid stripping , carb float for cracks, and anything more?

Greatly appreciate every answer,
Thanks

All of that plus file off any casting flash from the intake and exhaust ports. The mag is probably aligned right but you can check for rust, some of those kits spend a long time at sea. Same as all the steel surfaces.

You seem on the right track. I tried to skip some steps when i first got mine but a little piece of debris got stuck in a lower bearing and forced me to split the case after like 5 seconds of run time. Make sure the bearings are all clean and do your future self a huge favor by slip fitting the crank into its bearings. They're pretty simple little machines. The clutch is the most complicated part but seems to work fine.

Greetings Stump, or do we call you dummy? I joke.
If you are handy with a wrench, then all the prep mentioned shouldn’t be too bad. However if your more of a lurking get your toes wet in the hobby kind of guy (notice the gender bias) you can slap that sucker together and go.
Before the slave laborers, who assembled your porcelain doll, died from the Wu tang flu- they smeared a dab of China’s best lube on all the critical parts. Check for excessive casting flash and general cleanliness and go. I did nothing more to mine and she has been serving me well.
They are simple, they are cheap, they are fun- just like me. 😎

Back