Presta or Schrader

Wolfie65

Local time
5:53 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, so let's run with it: Which type of valve do you guys prefer in your tubes?
(insert post-adolescent guffawing here)
Schrader valves are generally much easier to get - or at least they were prior to the Kung Flu hoax - and, theoretically, more everyday convenient, since they are identical to those found on cars, allowing you to use air pumps at gas stations and also being easy to fill with whatever green goop you use in the never ending battle against flats. On the not-so-plus side, they do tend to leak air fairly quickly, as much as 10 lbs. overnight.
Presta valves - the traditional cyclist's choice - are fiddlier, perhaps a tad more prone to damage if the wheel is handled roughly (because they stick out more - duh), have no affinity whatsoever to cars and trying to put slimy substances into them is a Monty Python sketch waiting to happen. They do hold air better and over much longer periods of time and have recently been somewhat easier to find - because everyone wants the Schraders......

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, so let's run with it: Which type of valve do you guys prefer in your tubes?
(insert post-adolescent guffawing here)
Schrader valves are generally much easier to get - or at least they were prior to the Kung Flu hoax - and, theoretically, more everyday convenient, since they are identical to those found on cars, allowing you to use air pumps at gas stations and also being easy to fill with whatever green goop you use in the never ending battle against flats. On the not-so-plus side, they do tend to leak air fairly quickly, as much as 10 lbs. overnight.
Presta valves - the traditional cyclist's choice - are fiddlier, perhaps a tad more prone to damage if the wheel is handled roughly (because they stick out more - duh), have no affinity whatsoever to cars and trying to put slimy substances into them is a Monty Python sketch waiting to happen. They do hold air better and over much longer periods of time and have recently been somewhat easier to find - because everyone wants the Schraders......
I only use Schrader valves with the tubes i buy which are double thick, self sealing tubes...I haven't even needed to add air in the last 4 months either...lol...I also use Kevlar reinforced tires as well...DAMIEN

Need to add that Damien lives in the "Sticker Capitol" of the world, a place where everything stabs you or has fangs and bites you. LOL

Schrader are tougher and way easier to fill. The stupid prestas suck to fill if you're cold, wet, etc. Give me the ease of a schrader valve any day, plus they are so easy to get a valve for, just take the tool to the neighbors tires at 3am, just make sure its one you don't like. 😆 jk

Depends on what rims you are using. Most Presta rims won't accept a schrader tube.
I have both styles and don't really prefer one over the other. They also have a adapter that converts your presta valve to a Schrader so you don't need a different pump.

I only use Schrader valves with the tubes i buy which are double thick, self sealing tubes...I haven't even needed to add air in the last 4 months either...lol...I also use Kevlar reinforced tires as well...DAMIEN
Do tell us the specifics of those miracle tubes. Having ridden many bicycles - without motor - for decades, I've never had Schrader tubes hold the correct pressure for more than a few hours.

Depends on what rims you are using. Most Presta rims won't accept a schrader tube.
I have both styles and don't really prefer one over the other. They also have a adapter that converts your presta valve to a Schrader so you don't need a different pump.
Ah, but you are wrong. I will now show you the magic of a hand drill!!! Look at the twisty power!!! lol. A redneck and a tool box can make anything work, with enough shine.
I have a foot pump that does both. On my road bike with presta valves the tires run at 100 psi!
You wouldn't be the first frog in space when a tire blows, but you will have gotten there on your own. lol

Back