Problem here

Many good ideas to solve your problem have been mentioned but you need to start at the beginning. Going about it in a helter skelter manor will just confuse the issue. This is how I go about trying to solve a problem like what you are experiencing. It sounds like you are getting some fuel but not nearly enough so please try these steps to make sure you are getting enough fuel. I believe it is a fuel problem not a spark issue because it starts but will not stay running.
1. Pull the fuel line off the carb and turn the fuel petcock on to see if there is a good fuel flow. If not, correct this issue before doing anything else. Most of the gas tanks have a small strainer on the petcock just inside the tank. Remover the tank and drain the fuel. remove the petcock on the bottom of the tank and remove the strainer. I don't put it back because they clog so easily. While you have the tank off the bike put a small amount of clean gas in the tank and swirl it around to clean the tank. Reinstall the petcock. Now remove and replace the inline fuel filter from the fuel line. If you don't have one get one and install it now. You have to have one now that the strainer has been removed from the petcock. After you have this reassembled add some fresh gas and oil mix to the tank. See if you now have good flow to the carb when you turn the fuel petcock on. It should be flowing good now so connect the gas line to the carb and give it a try.
2. If the symptoms remain the the fuel blockage is in the carb and it must be cleaned out. Remove the carb and clean it out. I take the bowl off and blow out all the passages with carb cleaner. Be very careful so you don't loose any parts. Reassemble and try to start the engine. It should fire up and run if the problem was just a fuel problem.
BTW I always replace the spark plug because 2 stroke engines are hard on them. They may look fine but...
If after all this you still have the problem then it must be electrical. These steps have always worked for me. By doing these steps you can rule out a fuel problem and now move on to the electrical side.
Good luck

Jim

Last edited:
Back