Rear sprocket size

Low end power is what sorry im kinda new to all this
Bigger rear goes slower but more torque (pulls quicker) (better for hills)
Smaller rear goes faster but takes a little while to get to that top speed (better for flat)

just wondering what size sproket should I go with 36 tooth or a 44 standard tooth sprocket??
Two things to consider.

How steep are the hills where you'll be riding? The steeper the hills the bigger your rear sprocket needs to be.

What is the total weight?
[Your weight and the bike weight combined.] The heavier you are the bigger your rear sprocket needs to be.

If you're not climbing hills, imo its best to lean more towards a smaller sprocket size. Reasons being is the engine vibrates a lot at higher rpms and the bigger sprockets make the engine rev higher, so you'll experience those high vibrations earlier on which means less comfortable cruising speeds and more engine wear. Another reason to pick a smaller sprocket is at low rpms, you can peddle to assist your bike uphill and to accelerate faster, but you can't do that when you're going fast. Also when you add performance parts, you'll find that you'll have plenty of low end power and want more top end speed. Personally, I really like the 38t.

Im living in Alamogordo NM, im using a 36 tooth sprocket with the Zeda 80 engine...i DO have hills here, some quite steep as im on the edge of the foot hills of the Sacramento Mountains...going up, i attain 27 MPH...going down, i could achieve 50 or so, (i once did 47 MPH before backing off the throttle to clean the "racing stripes" out of my undies with a little more throttle to spare...lol.), on the flats, i can easily achieve 45 MPH...this setup has no performance parts on it...just my usual tweaks to the stock NT carbie and the NGK B6HS spark plug to account for altitude of 4,500 ft, going up to around 6,000, but have been able to still run it at the 9,000 ft. mark in Cloudcroft, NM, (sluggishly at 9K),...The bike frame im using is an Hyper Bike Co. beach cruiser with coaster brake along with a front caliper rim brake i added to it and also running Kevlar tires and double thick self sealing tubes, (I despise tire failures at speed...lol)...DAMIEN

Back