Exhaust Replacing exhaust studs and gasket

bigkev81

Local time
5:28 PM
Hey guys,

Was gonna take my bike for a ride the other day, but after i got it running, as i went of the kerb I felt something hit the road. I thought it was my kickstand which happens on high kerbs sometimes, but I looked down and saw my exhaust dangling.

So I killed the engine, parked the bike in the garage and decided to walk.

Anyways, I have lost 1x stud and bolt and the gasket looked buggered.

Looking for advice on what to get for the studs.
I know its a 6mm thread, but what length should I get, and what material for strength so it doesnt snap one day?

Also I tried using a temp bolt with a cardboard gasket for now, for a short 1.2km trip, but I could not start it.
Is that because my cardboard gasket sucks? Or have I done some kind of damage to the engine?

Cheers
Kev :)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
get a good steel bolt M6x1.0 and saw head off

check wires to see if falling muffler pulled them out

I decided to try making my own gasket as I don't wanna wait for delivery of the pre-made gasket.

Bought some exhaust gasket material.
Was about to trace the shape onto the gasket material. But the surface is not flat.
Should I try to mould the gasket material into the same shape before tracing? Or should I just trace it and not worry.

IMAG0323_BURST004.jpg

i have no idea how to bend lol.
The only thought I had was to bash it with a hammer lol, any tips?

if you can't put it across jaws of a vise and gently tap it down, you might try putting edge on a curb & tapping center down

Back