Stripped head bolt studs

OrionSphere

Local time
3:48 AM
I bought a bikeberry 48cc kit 2-3 years ago and have had it running off/on.

Recently I noticed that my head area is leaking alot of oil and compression is sucky. One of the head bolts is stripped. I don't know exactly what size I need.

Does anyone know, for sure, exactly what size bolt I need to replace it? Hopefully I can order the replacement on Amazon before I get home and won't have to open it up and measure. I'm riding my bike until I get it fixed.

It should look like this so everyone knows what I'm speaking of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_092535_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_092535_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
Great...lol...Now I got to teach the Giphy people how to spell now too...The "Mo" you know???...lol...lol.
No, the "Mo' you know." The apostrophe indicates an elision, which is used to indicate letter(s) have been removed from the word for pronunciation changes, which makes it grammatically correct when said as "Mo" and put to print. Very often used for indicating how people sound in Gaelic regions where their accent makes the word pronunciation very different from standard. "O'er here!" being a great example.

Absorb the knowledge.

No, the "Mo' you know." The apostrophe indicates an elision, which is used to indicate letter(s) have been removed from the word for pronunciation changes, which makes it grammatically correct when said as "Mo" and put to print. Very often used for indicating how people sound in Gaelic regions where their accent makes the word pronunciation very different from standard. "O'er here!" being a great example.

Absorb the knowledge.

I doubt i will find that in any dictionary found in The Bodleian Library at Oxford University...lol...lol.

I doubt i will find that in any dictionary found in The Bodleian Library at Oxford University...lol...lol.

This is the helicoil repair kit for the 48cc you will need for the M6 x 1.0 needed to repair the damaged threading on those stripped holes in the block... @robe and @Wrench are both probably correct when they are telling you the threads are stripped out rather than the stud being stripped.

I had the same problem with my M8 x 1.25 on my V-2 Phantom 85 and I had originally thought it was the stud until I pulled it apart and saw the threads in the hole come out with the stud, and the stud itself was perfectly fine.

https://www.amazon.com/BILITOOLS-M6...B09WN4XSVV/ref=pd_ci_mcx_pspc_dp_d_2_i_1?th=1
So will I need to drill out my old threads? To what size? Sorry, very new to this

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So will I need to drill out my old threads? To what size? Sorry, very new to this
In a helicoil kit it will include a drill bit to size the hole for the second stage, which is a tap to cut threads for the helicoil insert, and then a tool that is used to install the helicoil into the hole. If you are unsure of how to do it there are a ton of videos on youtube that will show you how it's done. It is not as hard as it sounds.

In a helicoil kit it will include a drill bit to size the hole for the second stage, which is a tap to cut threads for the helicoil insert, and then a tool that is used to install the helicoil into the hole. If you are unsure of how to do it there are a ton of videos on youtube that will show you how it's done. It is not as hard as it sounds.
Screenshot_20240224_185406_Chrome.jpg
this is what I bought, there's a tap but no drill bit and I do not have a drill. I'm at a hardware store right now looking for a drill and a bit set. I do need to Redrill and remove the broken threads right?

View attachment 208882this is what I bought, there's a tap but no drill bit and I do not have a drill. I'm at a hardware store right now looking for a drill and a bit set. I do need to Redrill and remove the broken threads right?
Yes ya gotta drill out the threads making a fresh hole for the tap so the heli coil can be screwed in
The tap for the Heli Coi should have the drill size you need stamped/printed on it, or the instructions will tell you the drill size

For A 6mm helicoil into aluminum ideally a 6.25mm drill bit would be used, but most often a complete kit will include a 1/4" bit. You can use a 1/4" drill bit since a 6.25mm is going to be really hard to find locally almost anywhere in the U.S. For an 8mm Helicoil it's a 21/64" drill bit.

You will also need a tap handle for the tap in that kit. They are easy to find at any hardware store and not expensive. 5-10 bucks. Good tool to have around for future repairs too.

Back