Rubber under the motor mounts yes or no.

Hi everone. Well here is another motor mount question. This is my first build and I'm using a Schwinn Del Mar. I have read every motor mount post I can find to get ideas on the front mount. I've decided to build a no drill mount instead of drilling. My question is if I wrap heater hose or some other type of rubber between the frame and motor mounts will it hold up or eventually just fall apart and cause me problems. Thanks for any info you can give me.

why not use a old used innertube ,,just cut to size ask a bike shop for broken tube

Thanks guys. Darth, I did consider a hydrolic clamp for the front motor mount but I couldn't find one that I thought the bolt pattern wouldn't interfere with the mounting studs on the engine. Plus no one in my area stocked them, they are a special order. I ended up buying small sheets of rubber that come in a few different thicknesses in the plumbing department at Lowes. Thats what I used between both engine mounts and the frame. I like Cabinfever's idea about using a handle bar grip, thats is really clever. As far as using an inner tube I'm an electrician so I came up with something a little different. I had a sort of rubberized tape thats meant to be used to insulate mechanical connections. I used it under the tank, cdi unit, and chain tensioner. I keeps things from wearing from the vibration, and stops them from trying to move around. Plus I did get lucky in my travels. The rubber peices for the rear sprocket that came with the kit were junk. They were paper thin on one side and 3/8 of an inch thick on the other. After I told them at the supply shop what I was building they gave me a large peice of rubber about 1/4 in thick for free. I was able to cut the two peices I needed and have enough left for about six more.

I found some rubber in a scrap heap with no idea of its origin and it works fine so far. The moter would move sideways at times so I tighten more often. I use a piece of a thin aluminum arrow laid in the center head fin groove where the plug goes(after removing the plug) to check alighnment.

Back