Safety first - Mods to make your bike safer.

...and I would venture a guess that axle failures can be traced to inadequate lubrication. Personally, I would never put more than a very few driveline test miles on a bike that I did not personally pack the axle bearings (assuming they are not sealed bearing, of course).

...I've heard of far fewer broken axles.

Hi Hough.

All but one of those frame breaks seem to be very 'clean'.

At first I wondered if maybe there was something else involved. Like possibly a factory weld in that location. But at second thought, it would seem a bit too coincidental for there to be factory welds at exacly that spot on all those different bikes.

I am left wondering if maybe those mounts were not kept tight. Which allowed the mount to kind of beat on/vibrate, the frame at that point.

Safety mods

Replace the rear wheel and tire with the best quality you can afford. Red loctite every threaded fastener that loosens. Clean and re grease every bearing, even on a new Chinese made bike. Every bearing I've looked at on Chinese bikes has had metal filings and dirt/crud in them. They are prone to freeze up, especially on the flecks of metal. Imagine that happening in the steering head when you need to turn.

Red and white reflector tape is cheap and use of it can make your bike much much more visible at night. I put a wrap of white around each front fork and a wrap of red around some vertical pieces in the back.

Avoid loose gravel, especially on turns. I always add a handlebar insert mirror on the left side and I use it.

Check your bike for rust in the frame if it is an older bike. Check every fastener, all spokes, and the oil level on 4 strokes each day you will be riding, especially in traffic.

Hi Hough.

All but one of those frame breaks seem to be very 'clean'.

At first I wondered if maybe there was something else involved. Like possibly a factory weld in that location. But at second thought, it would seem a bit too coincidental for there to be factory welds at exacly that spot on all those different bikes.

I am left wondering if maybe those mounts were not kept tight. Which allowed the mount to kind of beat on/vibrate, the frame at that point.

I'm sure its the vibration, but I'm thinking more of particularly shaky engines (some vibrate more than others) and perhaps frames with a tubing thickness that resonates with that particular engine.

crowned front fork

Many years ago I had a front fork leg break off going downhill at a good rate of speed probably about 20 or 25 miles an hour. The brazed joint in the fork crown let go. Lots of road rash and a triangular piece of glass in my left shoulder. Still have the scar.
Elmo

The broken frame question is interesting. Most were at the motor mounting point for frame mounted engines. Others were at welded/brazed joints. Close inspection of old joints will help prevent these, but paint might have to be removed to see any cracks developing in the joints. Vibration or overtightening the engine mount? Either or both would stress the frame at that point. A strip of rubber between the mount and the frame should lessen vibration transfer to the frame. Overtightening the mount onto the frame, hmmmm, not sure if there are torque settings for tightening the mount. There should be and they should not be exceeded if there are, but every bike manufacturer's frame is made of different quality material and thickness. This is a really difficult problem and any input from the pros will be helpful.

Many years ago I had a front fork leg break off going downhill at a good rate of speed probably about 20 or 25 miles an hour.

Strewth Elmo! I came off and over a while ago but mainly on damp grass, still it restricted my walking for 3 months. Old b*****s like us need to more careful. I like to take about a 30 minute ride around my quiet village every day. I'm using a very old 70c bike which once belonged to my daughter. It's very light especially when I compare it's frame with another bike I have fitted with a 30CC SACHS two stroke motor. So it's light and old and before I resurrected it, spent at least 20 years in an old 'lean to' shed slightly exposed to the elements. There is a street here nearby with a murderously coarse bitumen surface. I'm paranoid about coming off on it so I ride on the footpath. The bike is Pink and cleaned up nicely, but you never know what sins are concealed by Paint.

Safety
I got a real motor cycle helmit ..
new rear wheel ( gebe 105G )
That safety mod tie wrap on the front mount strap saved my life when the bolt broke !!!
Got better brakes coming in the mail ..
The stock point beach v-brakes are carp. (plastic parts ) !!!!!

Let's see........

I definitely think a suspension fork is a good idea. Even if it doesn't improve actual safety. But then, I think it does; no suspension beats the tar out of the bike frame. Clearly a safety issue.

Changing to a stronger axle shouldn't be hard for anyone who's ever removed and replace and axle and bearings.

The only other thing that I can think of is "Go pretty slow". I know I'm a kill-joy. But thinking of a bicycle at 30 mph and up sends a chill down my spine.
i can tell you what 40mph and a blown front tire feels like with an open face helmet i would like to try experimenting with foam filled tires the valve steam tore loose from the tube no warning my face elbows and forearms where cheese grated and am scared of another failure i was a mess some lady drug my sleeping ass out of the traffic to safety it wobbled twice i grabbed for the clutch and off the throttle and be fore i could i was face down on the road sleeping we must solve that problem and oh i always wear a full face helmet now!

Back