Sprockets Sanding options for sprocket

mattysids

Local time
7:48 PM
Are there any products out there that attach to a drill that could sand out a sprocket to make it larger?

If there is none, what type of dremel would be appropriate for this type of work?

It will be slow going with an electric dremel. One of the cutting bits will work better than a grinding stone.

If You Could Find Some Hobby Type Fellow With A Lathe In His Garage, Then It Would Run True. Maybe A Machine Shop Would Treat You Good. If It Fit Your Hub Perfectly, It Would Solve Some Problems. Good Luck. Ron

You could also get a carbide bit meant for a die grinder and stick it in a drill. These bits RIP at high rpm, they will make a bigger opening in the sprocket in no time.

Whatever you use, be sure to wear eye protection! :cool:

I just used a file that has one side with a curved surface. Pretty common for a file. I didn't have very far to go and it wasn't a problem making it even. The biggest problem with the kit sprocket is that it's poorly made to began with. I spent more time filing the teeth with a small round file to get the chain to feed even close to correct. Finally, I just bought a clam shell adapter and sprocket from Manic Mechanic. Best 60 bucks I've spent on the bike.

I TRIED TO DREMEL BIGGER HOLE AND DID IT ON 2 SPROCKETS, BUT WHEN I USED ROUND FILE BY HAND IT IS FASTER AND NO DREMEL STONES TO BUY ( WENT THRUOGH 3 ON EACH SPROCKET)

A pneumatic (air powered) file with a rat tail (round file) attached to it might do the job. If I were going to use one, I'd draw or scribe a circle on your sprocket and get as close to the drawn/scribed circle as close as I could. It will leave a rough jagged edge Then I would take a Dremel with a grinding stone and clean it up the best I could. From my experience, Dremels work great, but the stones and cutting wheels don't go far or last very long.

Al, please wear glasses around your shop and especially when you use power tools on Youtube! Kids are watching! Any kind of glasses are better than nothing.
I work at a company that has thousands of employees and an intense saftey program and every day I get e-mails on current injuries. Mostly hand injuries and I haven't noticed any eye injuries because they are fanatacial about wearing eye protection.
In my shop (garage) I am real uncomfortable until I put glasses on.

Back