Schwinn Meridian: is Predator 79 CC enough power?

Thumper

Local time
2:22 PM
Newbie here. Appreciate any help you guys can give me. recently bought a Schwinn Meridian trike. Looking to motorize it with a 4 stroke. I don't need to set any speed records, just looking for reliable power without the extra vibration, noise, & exhaust that would go along with overkill in the HP dept.
Can anyone give me any advice on using the Predator 79 CC 3 HP versus the 212CC 6 HP model?
Also I am looking for a kit to set it up to drive the left rear wheel. Something similar to what GasBike.net sells but without having to deal with Gasbike.....heard some nasty storiesabout them.
Try to keep it simple & inexspensive but not willing to get into a friction drive unit
thanks,
Thumper

Hi Newbie Thumper.

Welcome to the club.

JMO, 79cc is overkill. A 212cc engine on a trike would be suicide.

From what I've read, trikes are unstable around corners at pedaling speeds

It'd be too tempting not to apply too much power and getting into precarious situations.

I would imagine that a mild-mannered 35cc-49cc would be more than enough power to motorvate a trike.

A Honda GX35 or a Robin/Subaru 35cc four-stroke engine would be perfect.

Gearing such an engine would be much easier with a 5:1 pocket bike transmission.

You'll need it to attain the low gear ratio for the trike.

If you're handy, this is one way.

If you're looking for a kit, this won't be simple or cheap:
http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=911

Last edited:
Newbie here. Appreciate any help you guys can give me.
recently bought a Schwinn Meridian trike.
Looking to motorize it with a 4 stroke.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from gasbike and their suicide kits.

79cc on a trike is reckless endangerment!
Gasbike/Kings don't give a s**t, all they do is move boxes with wild claims, just don't fall for the hype.

I like electric shifting trikes myself.

2_trike2R.jpg

That's a Bayside 7-speed so of no real help with your single speed trike, but you get the idea.

Whatever engine kit you go with, first things first... Close your eyes and throw that killer sprocket what mounts directly to the bike spokes as far as you can and leave it... It will cost you in respoking a bike rim or get you hurt... Order a sprocket and adapter from Manicmechanic, I went with the 48 tooth... I have a meridian with the predictor 79cc on it... There is no fuel shutoff valve so you might want to add one under the grass tank like I did... Know the gasbike laws in your area, have fun and be safe...

Some local has a pretty nicely set up recumbent E-trike that manages to blaze along at 30+ mph. I'd go with a tadpole recumbent before I'd power an adult trike, they're dangerous enough under just human power.

Some local has a pretty nicely set up recumbent E-trike that manages to blaze along at 30+ mph. I'd go with a tadpole recumbent before I'd power an adult trike, they're dangerous enough under just human power.
Or fun enough? Been riding 3 wheelers since i was little and i can ride 2 wheels for miles lol.

Back