Seat post headache

Rusty_S85

Local time
5:35 AM
Well I got a 1" seat post for my GT2A frame as that's what it said online the size was. Was too loose would flop around. Then I ordered a 1 1/8" seat post which is what I measured my ID of my seat post tube. Well I hammered it in and now its frozen and the ends all balled over and is unuseable and I cant get it out. So now I need to know what seat post do these piece of s**t frames take?

Cause now I have to buy another frame as I cant get this seat post out I put a pipe wrench on it cant even get it to spin its frozen in place.

penetrating oil, mild torch, and pipe wrench with long piece of pipe as extra handle length

or

drill thru post and insert bolt, then use slide hammer

or

drill thru post and insert bolt, use a tower jack between frame and chain attached to bolt

or

enlist aid of an old-school mechanic

What's the seat post made from? It should come out with a bit of heat, particularly if it's a steel post in the alloy frame.
I thought about drilling through the post to attach a bolt to use a slide hammer too, but my connection is a bit crappy in the living room so Crassius got there first. :)

Well I got a 1" seat post for my GT2A frame as that's what it said online the size was. Was too loose would flop around. Then I ordered a 1 1/8" seat post which is what I measured my ID of my seat post tube. Well I hammered it in and now its frozen and the ends all balled over and is unuseable and I cant get it out. So now I need to know what seat post do these piece of sh*t frames take?

Cause now I have to buy another frame as I cant get this seat post out I put a pipe wrench on it cant even get it to spin its frozen in place.
What happened is that you were supposed to use a 27mm seat post... Never assume anything is going to be pure metric or pure standard, and definitely don't rely on a website to have the accurate dimensions..

Anyway what crassius said are more or less your options, definitely go with the penetrating oil technique and if it were me I'd drill a hole in the tube that's left and chain it up to a swingset or something else very strong with about 6 inches of chain or steel cable, I'd pull down on the actual frame giving some good hard snaps on it so no chances of denting the metal and easier than 200 hits from a slide hammer. You should and probably be better off getting a buddy to help since it will lessen the chances of you getting hurt, or the bike, and gives some extra strength/weight behind the pull.

If the post is sealed and the frame is sealed then just heat will probably get the air pressure up enough to things easier...
There's about a million threads on various bike forums about seized seatposts that will help you with ideas.

the seat post is the chrome sunlite one 1 1/8" which I don't understand why it doesn't fit the 1" was too small and the 1 1/8" is too big there is no size in between. I used wd40 speaclists wouldn't get it to twist with pipe wrench. I just used my park threadless head set cut tool and I chopped the post down thinking I can maybe make some slices to make it fold in some to either get it to remove which is doubtful its already installed past the min insertion length mark or maybe fold it in enough to get the seat to mount to.

It wont take heat the paint lets go of the aluminum if hit with a sharp edge so heat would bubble it off. If it came to that Id rather just buy another GT2A frame and paint it and toss this frame in the trash and swap all my parts over. Its a lot cheaper in the long run for my time than trying to fight getting this seat post out.

the seat post is the chrome sunlite one 1 1/8" which I don't understand why it doesn't fit the 1" was too small and the 1 1/8" is too big there is no size in between. I used wd40 speaclists wouldn't get it to twist with pipe wrench. I just used my park threadless head set cut tool and I chopped the post down thinking I can maybe make some slices to make it fold in some to either get it to remove which is doubtful its already installed past the min insertion length mark or maybe fold it in enough to get the seat to mount to.
So you don't have anything to grab left?

Back